Will a 500 SE work with Sherwood Brut first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmg6768

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can't seem to find any documentation on the intermediate pressures of either of these parts. I've emailed Hollis and Sherwood and gotten no response. I've found some information that says the Sherwood first stage runs from 125-150 psi and the Hollis is around 140 psi, but I'm not 100%. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

you likely won't hear from them because you aren't an authorized service technician. I'm much more familiar with the Poseidon design, and believe the Oceanic/Hollis is a downstream design despite being servo actuated, so take this with a grain of salt.

The 500SE is a knockoff to the Poseidon Xstream, but more closely resembles the downstream design of the Oceanic Omega. It's a big strange, but that's beyond the scope of this. Point being, the IP of the first stage will directly control how easy it is to "Crack" the regulator when you first start to breathe. On upstream designs like the poseidon, the higher the IP, the harder the cracking pressure, on other regulators it is the opposite which is why when you have too high of an IP they will freeflow. These require an OPV built into the system either in the first stage, or on the hose, downstream designs have the "OPV" built into the mechanism.

The difference between 125 and 150psi is not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, and for $15 you can buy an IP gauge and check to see what the sherwood is set to, you can get a better idea. Moral of the story is 125-150 psi to match with 140psi is close enough and you won't notice any difference in breathing effort. IF this is an upstream design, it will still work fine, you just have to put an OPV into one of the LP ports. I find no reference to this in any of the Hollis or Oceanic literature on the regulators, so you should be fine.

Knockoff - really??? A little elietist bias? And the 500SE isn't similar but exactly the same internally as the Oceanic (but doesn't have a propriatory hose fitting like the Oceanic). The difference is in the exterior casing and the way the exhaust is set up. Far superior in the 500SE IMNSHO.

My 500SE works fabulously with my Cressi AC2 first stage. I have it set to exactly 135 psi.

with no custom hose it is "similar", the guts are identical to one of the omegas though, and Oceanic did it first.

Yes, any servo actuated side exhaust is a knockoff of the Poseidon who was the first with downstream Cyklon, and the body style can't help but scream we copied the Xstream body. Nothing to do with them being superior, but they were the first, so it is monkey see monkey do. Quite a few of the second stages on the market are knockoff's of the Apeks design, doesn't make the Apeks better, just the one they were all copied from

The Hollis certainly looks better than the Omega and from reading on it it breathes better. I simply explained the design choice for Oceanic/Hollis to go with downstream vs. upstream, and then how IP of the first stage effects each design so he would understand why on a downstream reg the difference between 120 and 150psi isn't going to make a whole lot of difference aside from how easily it freeflows, and that the sherwood first stage can and should have the IP changed to match the optimal IP of the second stages. First stage doesn't really give a hoot what IP it's set to for anything between about 100 and 150psi and a few have to handle 185PSI for the Cyklons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom