Dive Rite computer failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've owned four Dive Rite computers (two Nitek Duos and two Nitek Trios). My first Nitek Duo was stolen years ago so I bought a Nitek Trio. It failed within the warranty period and Dive Rite replaced it with another one. That Nitek Trio failed not long after I received it and Dive Rite did not have any more because the manufacturer (Seiko) got out of the dive computer business.

Last night the Nitek Duo I bought as a back-up failed as well. That's 3 out of 4 (and the one that didn't was the one stolen from me). I can see why Seiko got out of the dive computer business!

Symptoms on my Nitek Duo focus on the fact that the three buttons do absolutely nothing to change mode or screen. When I got out of the water last night, the computer was in TIME mode. It displayed my dive time accurately. When I tried to press the mode button to get into the dive log nothing would happen. I crossed the contacts with my wet finger to see if I could get it functioning (that has worked previously) but nothing happened. I finally tried resetting it and the screen just displays the horizontal and vertical lines, nothing else.

Anyone else had this problem? Not a one of my Uwatec computers (I've owned three) ever failed me.

I had the same problem with my Nitek Duo that I use as a backup. The computer went to time mode and none of the buttons did anything. Changed batteries and reset and then blank screen with nothing but fixed lines. Changed batteries again but this time with a fresh brand name battery and computer worked and has worked ever since. Don't know if it was just the off brand battery or not.

Interesting. The new battery I put in about 2 months ago was a Varta (sp?) which are supposed to be good.

I bought new Duracell and Everready batteries and tried them in my Nitek Duo. Nada. I then tried then in my Nitek Trio. Nada. Both computers apparently are useless to me now. I guess I'll stick with the newer Uwatecs that have never failed me.

Back
Top Bottom