side mount and back mount rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carboat.png
There are a few that can do it, they just don't do either well.

hollis the only mainstream model that does it. the armadillo might as well but the sms100 is just a clone of that

Oxycheq Recon is supposedly able.

I had a dive buddy that would occasionally use a single BM cylinder on his SMS100. Did it work? Sure, but as scubatude mentions, not very well.
He also used BM doubles on it one time and it never felt the same afterwards. The weight of the cylinders tweaked it somehow.

Besides the Hollis sms 75 and 100 what other rigs are made to do both. I know i can make my bp wing do side mount. But I'm looking for something that is built and configured to do both.

I've used an SMS100 with DiveRite stabilising plates for doubles on a student who was 6'7" and had lower-back issues: he just couldn't wear a standard backplate and we're too remote to have got him an extra-long plate in time. It was stable and he was comfortable and able to get into trim (when he remembered to fold up the eight-foot long legs&#8230:wink:, and I've used it for a lot of sidemount dives since. Seems to do both jobs reasonably well, although you'll get people who tell you that diving a soft-pack with doubles is gonna kill you...

no mention of the nomad XT?
Nomad XT= standard transpac+nomad wing+butt plate
Transpac was designed originally to carry doubles and does it very well. 104's in a 5mm wetsuit are pushing the limit on lift, but I survived. They also carry rebreathers quite well and the cam band slots are wide open for strapping a single tank on there if you so choose.

I regularly dive doubles on my nomad with the inflator swapped, just have to use two drysuit length hoses for inflation. Stabilizer plates are 100% required for the doubles or they will flop around.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPac Stabilizer Plates

to the OP, do not try to sidemount in a standard backplate. It is quite dangerous in a cave or tight wreck situation where the backplate can actually ratchet you into the cave or wreck passage and you can get quite stuck. The wings are also not ideal because they can't be pulled down. The Nomad is really the only one that was purpose designed and is regularly used with doubles and rebreathers on it due to the transpac. The SMS100 will do it, but because of the design of the wing does some really funky things to the bottom of the tanks when it inflates. Actually lifts the tanks off of your butt which is bad.

I'll second the Nomad XT. It was my first sidemount rig and I would regularly swap the Nomad wing with a Rec Wing to dive double 85's. The switch only took a couple of minutes. Like all of the other mentioned rigs, the nomad would dive backmount....just not as a perfect scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom