Employment... How to proceed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soccerrefjason

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I came across this ad. And I'm interested but am not a dive professional. I called the folks and they're not looking for a dive professional. I want to move forward and find out more but I don't even know what kinds of questions to ask, or what suitable compensation is. Here is the ad give me an advice you see fit

Scuba Diver(s) (Cape Canaveral)

compensation: To be determined
In search of skilled and seasoned scuba divers. Ability to dive in occasional low visibility. Come to work for a company with a huge potential for extreme growth. Able to see the big picture. Currently dive operations are in search mode but will turn to a recovery mode, once the material is located.
Having other skills such as deck seamanship, will increase your chances of getting hired. Captains licence also a big plus. Boat skills are not required but are a plus. Able to learn. Be willing to work flexible schedule. Must be reliable and a team player. Able to lift 50 or greater.
Part time during evaluation period up grading to possible full time.
Come be a part of a team and make a difference.

Drug free work place.

So I came across this ad. And I'm interested but am not a dive professional. I called the folks and they're not looking for a dive professional. I want to move forward and find out more but I don't even know what kinds of questions to ask, or what suitable compensation is. Here is the ad give me an advice you see fit

Scuba Diver(s) (Cape Canaveral)

compensation: To be determined
In search of skilled and seasoned scuba divers. Ability to dive in occasional low visibility. Come to work for a company with a huge potential for extreme growth. Able to see the big picture. Currently dive operations are in search mode but will turn to a recovery mode, once the material is located.
Having other skills such as deck seamanship, will increase your chances of getting hired. Captains licence also a big plus. Boat skills are not required but are a plus. Able to learn. Be willing to work flexible schedule. Must be reliable and a team player. Able to lift 50 or greater.
Part time during evaluation period up grading to possible full time.
Come be a part of a team and make a difference.

Drug free work place.

You're profile says "0-24 Dives
The ad is looking for "skilled and seasoned divers"

If you want to move forward... I suggest you get another 200 or so dives in first.

Also, learn how to read code words in employment ads:

"Able to see big picture" = "we're not going to pay you unless something unlikely happens"
"currently in search mode" = "it's unlikely that will happen"
"Reliable and team player" = "you will do all the s**t work"
"Able to lift 50lbs" = "the s**t will need to be loaded into 50lb bags"
"possible upgrade to fulltime" = "no one has ever stayed in the job longer than two-weeks, if YOU do we're never letting you go"

And stop looking for jobs on Craig's list... :cool2:

Maintaining my profile on this website is more difficult than getting dives here in Florida. Pretend it reads just under a hundred. But in truth none have been in low visibility environments. I have no interest in pretending to be what I'm not but if there's a chance that they take me with that few dives I'd be interested in knowing the kinds of questions I might should ask them. In fact I'll make that my first question

Lmao at your added comments. In truth it was a fluke I was looking for scuba gear but was in the wrong tab.

Maintaining my profile on this website is more difficult than getting dives here in Florida. Pretend it reads just under a hundred. But in truth none have been in low visibility environments. I have no interest in pretending to be what I'm not but if there's a chance that they take me with that few dives I'd be interested in knowing the kinds of questions I might should ask them. In fact I'll make that my first question

Ask them what kind of nonsense they're up to. I'm surprised the tout a drug-free workplace... because you'd need to be on drugs to respond to the ad.

This is clearly some sort of "treasure hunting" sort of scam/gig. Craigs list is for call girls and serial killers... stay away. Stay FAR away.

OK, on the off chance you pursue this, you might want to ask:
What’s being searched for? What hard evidence do they have?
Where’s the funding coming from? If they want you to chip in, run.
What’s their safety record?

I have a friend who spent many weekends helping another search for treasure. He knew they weren't going to succeed, but enjoyed the camaraderie and it kept him fit since his day job was sedentary.
Your experience could turn into an OK time – if you look at it as a volunteer effort, and avoid risks – either financial or physical.

Let us know what you learn.

Wait wait wait wait wait hold on a minute... There are call girls on craigslist?

As long as you're willing to take "girls" with a grain of salt (and an adam's apple)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom