Palantic BP/W, anyone have one ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a diverite transpac, an older used one. I'd like to upgrade to a backplate to carry less external weight. unfortunately diverite told me I'd need to upgrade. But I have options and this caught my eye

http://www.amazon.com/Palantic-Diving-Harness-System-Backplate/dp/B00OVCFGSE/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

seems pretty stream-lined, sharp looking (obviously most important)

I'm wondering if my diverite wing will fit on there and whether the tank bands are any lower than my dive rite (it places the tank higher than I'd like it to.)

Last edited:
What wing do you have? That will define your options. Take a picture. No options on the transpac for adding weight outside of pockets. It's also not an "upgrade" do a backplate, it's a lateral move.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/
Drive there, talk to those guys, make that your LDS.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/pkg_metal.shtml
Check those packages out if you want a new wing. If you don't need a new wing, then you'll save a few bucks, but those are some killer deals going on right now....

thanks ! I have the diverite venture wing, and it's basically brand new. the harness is used. I could sell it for a decent amount I imagine.

as long as it has grommet holes in it you're good for use with any backplate though you'll need an STA for optimal performance. Swing down to DGX, bring your wing. Transpacs usually go for around $150 max used depending on condition and which version it is.

I have a diverite transpac, an older used one. I'd like to upgrade to a backplate to carry less external weight. unfortunately diverite told me I'd need to upgrade. But I have options and this caught my eye

Amazon.com : Palantic Tech Diving Harness System with SS Backplate : Sports & Outdoors

I'm wondering if my diverite wing will fit on there and whether the tank bands are any lower than my dive rite (it places the tank higher than I'd like it to.)

thanks ! I have the diverite venture wing, and it's basically brand new. the harness is used. I could sell it for a decent amount I imagine.

Your easiest option might be to pick up a DiveRite backplate (regular or lightweight, depending on how you dive), harness and single tank adapter then reuse your Venture wing, tank cam straps and crotch strap from your Transpac (and maybe weight pockets). You can either go with the simple continuous webbing harness or a Transplate harness which is very similar to your Transpac. Although the Venture wing at 45 lbs lift is probably a big large for single tank recreational diving and not the best choice for doubles. The wing is typically the most expensive part of a backplate setup

http://www.amazon.com/Palantic-Diving-Harness-System-Backplate/dp/B00OVCFGSE/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Idk if I'd call it streamlined with all the straps, pads, buckles, pockets, and velcro.

The metal backplate part is probably ok, though. But the rest of it...

The Palantic harness looks quite a bit like the Deep Outdoors Matrix LTD that I dive. I love it. It is comfortable, easy to get in and out of, I am able to add whatever I need to it to make it work for the diving that I like to do. I would say that going down to DGX is a good bet, they have always treated me well when I order from them. The key thing is to dive what feels good to you. Many divers love the Hogarthian Harness which is perfectly okay but at the same time the Palantic harness is an equally good choice more than likely as long as it fits your needs and is a sturdy harness.

Last edited:

No, that's not what stream-lined looks like. If you're going to buy a plate, add 15' of webbing to the order. You should be able a salvage enough hardware from your Transpac to set up a harness. The wing should fit whatever plate you buy.

This is what cracks me up about a thread like this. People look at a harness and talk about it not being streamlined but then go on to say that you need to add weight so go get a weight belt or a weight harness like the DUI weight harness which in effect does exactly the same thing as the integrated weight pockets on the Palantic or on my Deep Outdoors harness. As long as you don't have lights and other things hanging off of your harness what difference does it make??? NONE!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom