Underwater Plunger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabat

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend at work was walking along the shore near Tacoma during low tide and said he seen a multitude of objects on the sand that looked like the rubber end of a toilet plunger and was wondering what they were.

He said that he picked one up and it was nothing more than somewhat hardened sand with a hole where the handle of the plunger would be. No marine life was in the object.

I recall seeing something like this on the bottom but cant remember where and I am unable to come up with a suitable description for a web search.

Any ideas (and pictures)?

seabat:
A friend at work was walking along the shore near Tacoma during low tide and said he seen a multitude of objects on the sand that looked like the rubber end of a toilet plunger and was wondering what they were.

He said that he picked one up and it was nothing more than somewhat hardened sand with a hole where the handle of the plunger would be. No marine life was in the object.

I recall seeing something like this on the bottom but cant remember where and I am unable to come up with a suitable description for a web search.

Any ideas (and pictures)?
Those were Moon Snail eggs, if they looked like this:

http://www.gotosnapshot.com/Moon_Snail/catalogdata/18.html

Jimmie

Learn something new every day!

thanks

Thanks Kalvyn.

My friend can now sleep at night and thinks I am a dive god. I'll let him think the dive god part for another few days and then let him down easy with the truth!

The eggs are actually encased in sand ... so most of what you're seeing is, in fact, just sand. About a month ago my buddies and I watched a moon snail "building" one of those casings. It was a fascinating way to do a 10-minute safety stop at the end of a reasonably aggressive dive profile.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom