Problem with Cressi-sub mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duane S.

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone out there owns a Cressi sub big eyes mask? If so have you had any problems with it?
The one I own came completely apart in my hands while simply removing the mask from my face. It was used once!
I believe this product to have a design flaw. There is a plastic lip around the outside egde of the glass windows. This lip protrudes at the bottom edge of each side, where you pretty much expect your thumb will end up while doffing the mask. I gently removed the mask from my face not realizing this, and the pressure on this lip was enough to shatter it; completetly seperating the glass from the mask.
Good thing this happened on the boat and not at 100 feet.
Anyways I'm stuck having to ship it back to the manufacturer in Italy, and wanted to know if anyone else has had a similiar experience so that I can inform them of this.

Why ship it back to Italy? Ship it back to where you boought it from. FYI Cressi also is in the US.

Duane S.:
Was wondering if anyone out there owns a Cressi sub big eyes mask? If so have you had any problems with it?
The one I own came completely apart in my hands while simply removing the mask from my face. It was used once!
I believe this product to have a design flaw. There is a plastic lip around the outside egde of the glass windows. This lip protrudes at the bottom edge of each side, where you pretty much expect your thumb will end up while doffing the mask. I gently removed the mask from my face not realizing this, and the pressure on this lip was enough to shatter it; completetly seperating the glass from the mask.
Good thing this happened on the boat and not at 100 feet.
Anyways I'm stuck having to ship it back to the manufacturer in Italy, and wanted to know if anyone else has had a similiar experience so that I can inform them of this.

I have the same mask and have been using it for a couple of years now! No problems whatever with it. I like the mask and plan to continue to dive with it! :eyebrow:

I have used and abused my Cressi Big Eyes for a couple of years with no problems.

If the plastic broke then there is a good chance it was damaged by some kind of chemical or (long shot) long UV exposure.

Take it back to where you bought it, they should exchange it no problem.

Thanks for the input everyone. Guess I just got lucky. I dive as a profession and as such take imaculate care of my gear. As I said the mask was used only once for a thirty minute dive. Cleaned within an hour of use, and stored in a hard case out of the sun. Can't return it to the store since I had it in the closet for about four months before I used it.

Duane S.:
removed the mask from my face not realizing this, and the pressure on this lip was enough to shatter it;

Now that's what I call a seal. I have one, it's my favorite mask. Probably 600 dives on it, had to replace the strap two weeks ago but that's it. You got a fluke bad one.

I have two Cressi-Sub Big Eyes masks and I love them for videography. However, the mechanism binding the strap broke on my first one after a year or two of constant diving. I see a design flaw in that part of the mask... too weak in my mind. Don't know if I can get a replacement part for the mask through local sources since no LDS here carries them and Sports Chalet (where I bought my first one) no longer does either.

Dr. Bill

I have seen 2 cressi big eyes snap right on the bridge of the nose above the nose pocket one was the masks first dive so if yours broke in the same place yes i have seen that problem as well

Duane S.:
Thanks for the input everyone. Guess I just got lucky. I dive as a profession and as such take imaculate care of my gear. As I said the mask was used only once for a thirty minute dive. Cleaned within an hour of use, and stored in a hard case out of the sun. Can't return it to the store since I had it in the closet for about four months before I used it.

That doesn't matter... I don't care if it had been in the closet - or was dived for the last year... It should not have broken... And the shop you got it from should replace it on the spot... We do that kind of stuff all the time.

You sure as heck don't want to send it to Italy... You could buy a new one cheaper than the 2 way shipping...

Your right they should take it back! Thanks for the input everyone. The only reaon I was going to ship it to italy is because that was the only address on the inserts that came with the mask. I went online and found their offices in New Jersey. In the meantime I got a sweet deal on two burley masks at DECA diving for only sixty bucks. Which is less than I paid for the Big eyes to begin with!

Back
Top Bottom