Atomic Aquatics "Liquid Blue" for frog-kicks and better thrust in strong currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeoh Chee Weng

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the Atomic Aquatics "Liquid Blue" split-fins. I already owned Mares Volo fins which though comfortable to use is quite useless in strong currents. Can owners of split-fins, especially the "Liquid Blues", tell me whether they are good for frog-kicks as well and verify the claim that using a smaller range of flutter kicks, split-fins can provide more thrust in strong currents than paddle fins. Thanks for any opinion offered.

Actually, I've used the Apollo Bio Fins in currents in Cozumel, Palau, etc... And I'll take them over anything else in those conditions.

I've had so many people ask this same question I wrote an "Ask Joe & Larry" section on it... check out :

Do split fins work in a strong current??

Yeoh Chee Weng:
I'm thinking of buying the Atomic Aquatics "Liquid Blue" split-fins. I already owned Mares Volo fins which though comfortable to use is quite useless in strong currents. Can owners of split-fins, especially the "Liquid Blues", tell me whether they are good for frog-kicks as well and verify the claim that using a smaller range of flutter kicks, split-fins can provide more thrust in strong currents than paddle fins. Thanks for any opinion offered.
I own a pair (my buddy loves 'em, I use the Turtles), and Uncle Pug tried mine and gave his review here:http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=41806&page=4&pp=10
Check it out.

Grateful for your replies. Thank you Larry, your report was encouraging. Rick pointed me to an excellent thread. From all the reading I've done it seemed that the prejudices against the split-fins are unfounded although they are also not the best design as the manufacturers would like us to believe. Among paddle fins the popular choice seemed to be either Jets or Turtles for their maneuverability. Most agree, even if begrudgingly, that split-fins are efficient in flutter kicks because of the narrower range of movement, but inefficient for alternative kicks. I'm considering split-fins because of my weak ankles and calves. I've tried long, stiff paddle fins and found that they tend to give me a cramp in my calves. Because of this I'm opting for shorter, lighter and more flexible fins that would still enable me to fight off moderate to strong currents. Most of the time I'm cruising in warm tropical waters and I prefer to use frog-kicks, just seem to me more relaxing than flutter kicks.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for pointing me to the right thread on split-fins. In the thread there was mention about reversing using your fins. Can you please let me know how to perform reversing using split-fins? I've been using my hands to reverse by pushing forwards while keeping my legs still. And also, how different is the motion of frog-kicking using split-fins as compared to paddle-fins?

I used to have a severe problem with cramping, especially after fighting a current.
My first solution was splits. Nice, for a RAPID, high-frequency narrow flutter. That lasted 2 months and I went back to the Jet Fins.

I now almost exclusively frog kick. It is actually much easier on my legs, results in no cramping, and has reduced my air consumption dramatically, as I am no longer using the large thigh muscles except in a strong current.

Using little more than my ankles and lower legs (and my ankles are not strong) I can now frog as fast as I used to flutter. I generally hold my knees at about a 45 degree angle (but this will vary with the pressure in my tank) and simply rotate my ankles with very little movement of the thigh. When everything is in sync, it just "clicks" and you start moving like a rocket.

The backwards kick is a variation on the frog. With the feet in the "up" position, you rotate your ankles to plant the feet sole to sole, as if in a praying position. You then thrust your feet down and out, in a reverse movement to a normal frog recovery, then splay your toes apart and pull back to the reset position.

Hard to describe, and hard to do.
I seriously doubt that it can be done efficiently with split fins.

It goes without saying that the Jet fins are the best for backward kicks. But in contrast to other split fins, with Atomics you CAN do a decent backward kick as the fins are stiffer. I can backkick better with the Atomics than a lot of people out there with any fins. :wink:

If you are doing mostly frog kicks and no flutter kicks, then I'd recommend the Jet fins instead. Although the Atomics are OK with frog kicks, the Jets work better.
If on the other hand you do flutter kicks against current, then the Atomics will be awesome. Real fast with a lot less effort, and you don't have to do the high-gear rapid kick to go fast either if you don't want to.

I must admit, I've never tried splits because I'm completely happy with my Turtles. However, I've heard that you can't do certain kicks in splits because of the design, but UnclePug proved that it can be done (just not as efficient as a paddle fin). Heck, I can do all the kicks without any fins at all. If you are serious about getting splits and just want to cruise your local reefs, don't let anybody talk you out of it and just do it.

Hi fellow divers,

Thanks again, I'll follow Scott's advice and go ahead to buy the Atomic split-fins. Unfortunately, here in Malaysia no shops will let you try any gear before you buy, once you leave the shop there is no refund. So far I've only seen one diver use split-fins, they are not popular in this region - mainly because of the price - much higher than paddle fins. I'll be impatient to try out all your suggestions on how to use the splits for frog-kicking and reverse motion. Sigh - next trip is a long month ahead. If I can't it right I know the best place to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom