Anybody tried to fit Digital (or film) camera to Aquashot II housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
With the plethora of used, cheap Aquashot II housings around, has anyone tried to fit either a digital camera or a reloadabe film camera to one?

Seems a shame that the housings would go to waste now that it's just about impossible to find disposables that fit them.

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Well, I'll answer my own question!

You can use the newer Fuji Quicksnaps if you do three things:

1. Modify the winder diameter to accommodate the fact that the new cameras are thinner by replacing the rubber "gripper" on the winder stalk with one made from an "expansion nut" from the hardware store. The expansion nut looks like a"top hat" and only the top part of the "hat" part (not the "brim") has a threaded metal insert. Cut the "hat" just below the metal insert so that you have a neoprene washer with a stalk and replace the ikelite "gripper" with that one, using the spacers and washers from the Ikelite parts to position the now wider, but somewhat narrower gripper so it lines up with the winder on the camera. There is alimit as to how wide the "brim" can be -- if the "brim" is too wide, the sideways pressure on the stalk will cause the O-ring seal on the stalk to leak. I've only been able to experiment in the pool so i don't know how much of a problem this will be -- it stayed dry in the 8 ft pool.

2.Make a 1/8" wide spacer to fit between the bottom of the camera and the camera locating prongs in the housing. This holds the camera up against the top prongs so it doesn't move down and away when the shutter control is pressed.

3. Tape a small button over the flash switch on the Fuji camera. The Ikelite switch arm is not long enough to press the switch but it catches the edge of the button if you move the Ikelite switch about 1/8" from "Off" to "Fuji". If you move it too far, it pushes teh button out of the way. Although the plastic rear window for the flash ready light doesn't line up perfectly, it does line up enough so that you can see whether the ready light is lit. You want to move the switch just enough to make the light go on and no more.

4. Be sure the lens is as centered as you can make it to avoid having the picture cut off on the side.

I'll try to post some pictures of the install either this week or when I get back from the Keys at the end next week, but it's nice to make some "obsolete" equipment useful again! Of course, I'd still love to find a reloadable camera that would fit, but half a loaf is better than none!

Bill

When the Aquashot came out there was nothing like it. The fact that you could even get an inexpensive strobe for it made it even more of a deal. Who would have even thought that the disposable flash cameras would be available now for $5.

For about $25 you can get a Snapsights camera that can go down to 85 ft. It has a small flash and you can buy a $5 close up lens. The only thing missing is an external flash. I think one could just as easily use a Morris slave flash for about $50. The advantage of the Snapsights camera is that it's reloadable.

Addenum to my earlier message:

Fuji is changing the body shape of their Quicksnaps yet again. The QuickSnaps that are *singly* packaged are not the same as the ones in the double packs - so I suspect that the future availability of even the Quicksnaps that fit may be limited.

The new ones are smaller, with the lens shifted slightly to the left as you face the camera, which makes the distance between the lens and flash too small for the housing. In addition the flash button moves up instead of in so the housing's switch won't work.

Rats. I guess I'll snag a couple of the older ones for this last "hurrah" this coming week. I haven't found any of the Kodak ones that fit; haven't tried Polaroid yet, but the pictures on the box indicate that winder knob is on the front, not the rear so it doesn't look promising. Sure wish there was some reusable camera that would fit the housing. I'll still post photos -- maybe someone will have a better idea -- I just like the idea of resurrecting "obsolete" gear!

After this trip, I plan to pick up a "CameraShield" housing. With a bit of work (and some silicone!), it would be pretty easy to add a flash shoe to the top of the housing for the Aquashot external stobe and a flash diffuser would be pretty easy to make as well. I'll mate it with an inexpensive 2 MP digital and see how that works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom