Power of Camouflage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Oly 5050 supermacro, internal flash
987404-07-25behauforest_145.jpg

Absolutely incredible photo as are the others in your gallery. Can you share what settings you were using? It seems that using an internal flash, rather than an external strobe is better in super macro mode.

Thanks for sharing this with us. That is an awesome shot.

Keep taking Pics,
SWT

WOW!!!! Incredible detail and color. The shot just jumps out at you.

Very pretty, you just got to love color.

Thanks y'all. The credit goes to Mr. Olympus who makes one mean camera! I am hooked on the supermacro and only switch out of it when I see something in the distance.

Settings for this picture: 1/320 sec., f5.0,

The internal flash is always set at 10 in the slave mode to get max. light ensuring adequate lighting in the higher f-stop range of f6-f8 where you get higher depth of field. The colors also seem richer with the smaller apertures of f6-f8. As for shutter speed, it is often set to 1/1000 - the default when you power on in manual mode. Frankly, I have not tried other shutter speeds much as I am still a novice, trying only a couple of parameters at a time to try and figure out what each does.

As for internal flash coverage, this is a bit tricky. If you get too close to the subject you get a lens barrel shadow. To counter this, you can first focus on your subject and with the shutter release half way down, move the subject to the upper right quadrant of the view screen where you are getting more light from the internal flash.
Once in your computer, you can crop the picture to center the subject. I don't know (until I can afford one) but this is probably not an issue with an external strobe which probably allows you to get even closer to your subject without the barrel shadow issue.

I enhanced this shot a bit in Photoshop Elements with a little bit of sharpen with unsharp mask, reduced the brightness and increased the contrast a smidge.

How did you get the black background with just the internal flash?

I think that comes from the faster shutter speed, right?

I haven't used the SMacro mode very much but I understood that the internal flash was disabled in SMacro mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom