Destin Jetties dive pics 8/12/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was missed by my friend Bonnie today so I got to dive after great fear that I would have to sit one out on my planned day off, the purpose of which was to go diving. Besides the change in weather, I even almost got a picture of a whole doctorfish - what a day! Here are the best shots from today:

Glad you didn't have to miss out on diving!

Love the second crab...his face is great!

I think your "doctor" fish are called surgeons here - they have a scapel sharp blade at the base of their tail? Great stuff :D

Forgot - also think the texture on the jelly is wonderful...colour me jealous here!

alcina:
...I think your "doctor" fish are called surgeons here - they have a scapel sharp blade at the base of their tail?...
I'm not sure what the difference is between the two fish, but they must be related - may be some one will chime in.

Does yours have the blade? Looks like it does. my guess is then that they are the same family, but the different terms are most likely due to geographical differences...I know even between here and Perth we have different common names for the same fish...latin is more exact, but boy, what a mouthful usually :D

In the caribbean, Florida, Atlantic waters, Surgeonfish are very similar to Doctorfish, but do not have vertical stripes on their sides. Only Doctorfish have the vertical stripes.

Looks great Yoda, I'm looking to get back in the water Sunday :) its been two weeks! Too much crummy weather, suprisingly enough, the near miss with Bonnie didn't do much to our weather...

DennisW:
In the caribbean, Florida, Atlantic waters, Surgeonfish are very similar to Doctorfish, but do not have vertical stripes on their sides. Only Doctorfish have the vertical stripes.
Thanks Dennis.
These do have stripes but also seem to be able to change their shade so the stripes don't always show. I don't know if it's the angle of the light or if they truely change color but I've seen the same fish look very dark with bands and then at another angle be a light grey with the bands barely visible. Pretty fish and a great challenge for me to get a real good pic of - I haven't given up yet!

Alcina,
They do have the blade or spike back by the tail.

great Pics!

Back
Top Bottom