What to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a Minolta Dimage Z1 digital camera that I love.
For underwater pictures in the past I have always used film.

I noticed that most people on this site seem to favor the Olympus and the Cannon with the associated housings.

Does anyone have any experience with the EWA-marine plastic bag like housings that can be used with the Minolta?

Or an I just better off to get a seperate camera that already had premade hard housings?
Mike G

I used one of those when I started, before the C5050. It was rubbish!! It's great if your snorkelling or near the surface, but pretty hopeless for diving.

The controls are very difficult to operate through the bag as it is, but once you have the water pressure sticking the bag to the camera, even at shallow depths it's virtually impossible to rotate dials etc.

Any other opinions?

Nice camera but it does not look like it's going underwater. Maybe consider a lower end camera for UW, possibly a Canon or Olympus. You can get a great little 4 megapixel camera and housing for $400-$500 total.

Thats what it is starting too look like.....

I say to myselfm "Maybe all just get a new cheaper setup for UW like $400?"

But then I start to say, well if I just spend a little more then I will have a pretty nice setup ect... Then it 600-700 dollars pretty fast.
-Mike

Yep I agree, the Z1 is a cracking looking camera, but due to the fact that nikons/canon etc owners out number the minolta owners by a long way, none of the manufacturers feel that it is worth R&D on an UW housing for it.

I had an Oly E20 for land use and a C5050 for UW.

I took the decision that I was much better having one system I could use for both, than have two medicore systems.

I sold off both, and the cash more or less covered 1/2 off the new rig with all the trimmings, including a total lens range from 18mm - 600mm (35mm equiv)!!

It's a tough decision and only one you can answer.

Don't forget though, that cams like the C5050 also make great land cameras, but just a bit restricted focally, compared to something like a DSLR with multiple change lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom