Thanksgiving in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkEspen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're spending Thanksgiving in Waikiki. Any recommendations for operators, dive sites, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Are there any operators that will adjust their itineraries to the weather conditions? Also, does one side of Oahu offer better diving in November than another?

Try giving either Ocean Concepts or Island Divers a call - they both have websites. I belong to both their dive clubs and dive with them often.

Ocean Concepts dives mainly out of Waianae on the west shore, but near the end of the year they do more dives on the south shore.

Island Divers primarily operates out of the south and east shores.

Both offer shuttle service from Waikiki. Your best bet is to dive off the south and east shores that time of year - there are lots of wrecks to choose from. The YO-257, San Pedro and Sea Tiger are popular wrecks off the south shore. The Corsair is the most popular wreck off the east. There are some less visited barges off that side, also.

As far as weather - if you're talking about rain - they'll still go. If you're talking about surf or sea conditions, they'll make that decision as they assess the conditions that day. I've never had a dive called for inclement weather (we just really don't get much of that) and very rarely is the dive called for sea conditions. More likely they'll just choose another site.

Good choice! November is the start of the whale season. Hope you see some!

As for general weather conditions, the West and North shores get a bit rougher in the Fall/Winter months. But there is still good diving to be had on the West side, where as I really wouldn't reccommend the North Shore for that time of year.

Chepar is right about how they go out. Rain ain't gonna kill ya and you're gonna get wet anyway. But if it's too choppy or a screaming current the dive op might change sites or call off the trip (happened this past March when we had a bad storm). Safty first!

As chepar also says there are a lot of wrecks to the East and South shores that you wouldn't want to miss. Here is a bit of information on some of the dive site around the island and if you look in my gallery you can see some of what lays instore for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom