Visiting Oahu for the first time, looking for some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanluge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello y'all I'm coming to visit Oahu from December 18-28th I'm going to do some dives with my girlfriend.

Can anyone recommend a good dive shop? Is there any unique dives around that certain shops will take you to/are there some operators that cater to fresh off the resort tourists and others that are geared to more adventurous types?

Also is there anyone who will take you freediving with humpbacks?

Cheers!

Sean

All of the dive shops do the same dives. Dive Oahu, Island Divers and Kaimana divers are all good shops. No you can free dive with the humpbacks US law requires you stay 100 yards away from them.

Dive the Sea Tiger if you can. In 1998-1999 or so I spearheaded the sinking of that ship as a dive site for our tourist submersibles (Voyager Submarines) to drive around and look at. She sits in about 100 fsw.

Things are a bit spread out and different operators can get you to certain spots on the island. Most town side operators like us hit the wrecks of the Sea Tiger/YO 257 and shallow reefs accessible from Kewalo Basin Harbor. SE side you would be good to book with Aarons Dive Shop (check they are running SE) or Reef Pirates. It's my understanding that Island Divers is conducting tours out of Waianae Harbor now but you can call them directly for up to date info on where their boats are going. Most def want to book those days in now as the last two weeks of Dec do fill up early for most of our charters and other tour operators here on Oahu. Hope to see you soon!

I like Aaron's Dive shop in Kailua.
Don't miss having a spam misubi from 7-11.

Since a couple of the bigger shops have been mentioned, let me put in a word for Underwater Oahu:

It's the only dive shop on the west side, as far as I know. The owner Mike is an instructor trainer / course director for several of the major agencies, very knowledgeable about local dive sites, and just a great guy to dive with. They tend to do more shore diving than some of the other operators, which I personally enjoy, and have scooters if you're DPV certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom