First time diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!
I am planning a dive trip for my girlfriend (OW) and I (AOW) this next January and I’m looking for some advice. Mainly I’m just looking for any general advice and recommendations on dive sites and shops to use. All I know so far is that I plan to use Hotel Barracuda and go with their dive package of 7 night and 10 dives. If any of you have stayed there I would love to hear what you though (and which if their apparent two websites is the correct one)

One of the specific things I wanted to ask about is the wreck of the C53. This is a bucket list dive for me but I am unsure if it is outside the range of my girlfriends ability. From what I read, the dive doesn’t seem too challenging but maybe I am missing something. I plan to do easy dives with her to see how she does and maybe work up to it but I don’t want to get her into conditions she isn’t ready for. Any advice on that site is appreciated!

Thanks!

Just got back on Saturday from a week at Hotel Barracuda (2nd time) diving with Tres Pelicanos (8th time) for boat dives, and did a few shore dives with ScubaJuan (guided day dive, guided night dive, and got tanks for one day shore dive at Barracuda on our own). Was thinking about doing a brief trip report, but I'm pretty bad about that. Both Tres Pelicanos and ScubaJuan are great to deal with.

First, you should know that Hotel Barracuda is a decent "dive hotel" but is very dated and no-frills. They keep it pretty clean and clean rooms daily. When I say no frills I really mean it -- less than Red Roof Inn: you have to buy your own bottled water to brush teeth with (don't drink the tap water most places on the island), no elevator, no restaurant (several nearby), no little shampoos or lotions, have to ask for a hand towel, etc., etc. I'm not saying it is bad, you just have to go in knowing what you are getting. Good for a guys' trip, but my wife would not like it.

On the plus side: location -- probably the most affordable hotel on the water, with good snorkeling, pretty decent shore diving for Cozumel, a pool with swim-up bar, and also not a bad walk to/from the town center/plaza (a bit long, but pleasant after a nice meal). It's really a good location overall, especially for the price.

Speaking of price, personally I have gotten good deals having Tres Pelicanos book package deals with them (better than Barracuda's advertised pricing on several websites). I know other dive ops have packages with them also (ScubaJuan, Salty Endeavors, etc.). I have only done it that way with them, and it has gone smoothly -- my gut instinct is that it is better to do it that way than book the hotel and get a package through the hotel (all of those dive ops have good English speakers, but the hotel does not always). Even though I have passable tourist Spanish, my gut instinct is *very strong* that I would much rather book the package with the dive op and not the hotel.

As far as dive sites: honestly, the boat dive sites are all pretty darn good usually. We like Columbia Deep, and Palancar Bricks, and Paso de Cedral especially, but really on any given day I'm happy at any of the common reef sites. The C-53 is often done as the 2nd half of a shallow 2nd dive, and it is neat -- though not really as neat as the regular reef sites. It was specially prepared for divers, and divers of all levels often dive it. I'm conservative with my diving generally though, and personally I would not "penetrate" the inside unless following a DM closely (and most wrecks I would not follow a DM into at all). There is a section that is skeletal that I will swim through on my own. As long as you stay outside of the ship, it is a quite easy dive.

Misc. Thoughts:

For the C-53 and swim throughs -- focus on buoyancy control and frog kicks so as not to stir up silt.

Most dives in Cozumel are drift dives, so you both should carry a DSMB with spool/reel and know how to deploy it.

Most dive ops are o.k. if you skip the swim-throughs if not comfortable -- you can usually go over the top of the coral and follow the groups' bubbles. Again, be ready with your DSMB in case you get separated from your group (not a big deal at all, happens a lot).

Just got back on Saturday from a week at Hotel Barracuda (2nd time) diving with Tres Pelicanos (8th time) for boat dives, and did a few shore dives with ScubaJuan (guided day dive, guided night dive, and got tanks for one day shore dive at Barracuda on our own). Was thinking about doing a brief trip report, but I'm pretty bad about that. Both Tres Pelicanos and ScubaJuan are great to deal with.

First, you should know that Hotel Barracuda is a decent "dive hotel" but is very dated and no-frills. They keep it pretty clean and clean rooms daily. When I say no frills I really mean it -- less than Red Roof Inn: you have to buy your own bottled water to brush teeth with (don't drink the tap water most places on the island), no elevator, no restaurant (several nearby), no little shampoos or lotions, have to ask for a hand towel, etc., etc. I'm not saying it is bad, you just have to go in knowing what you are getting. Good for a guys' trip, but my wife would not like it.

On the plus side: location -- probably the most affordable hotel on the water, with good snorkeling, pretty decent shore diving for Cozumel, a pool with swim-up bar, and also not a bad walk to/from the town center/plaza (a bit long, but pleasant after a nice meal). It's really a good location overall, especially for the price.

Speaking of price, personally I have gotten good deals having Tres Pelicanos book package deals with them (better than Barracuda's advertised pricing on several websites). I know other dive ops have packages with them also (ScubaJuan, Salty Endeavors, etc.). I have only done it that way with them, and it has gone smoothly -- my gut instinct is that it is better to do it that way than book the hotel and get a package through the hotel (all of those dive ops have good English speakers, but the hotel does not always). Even though I have passable tourist Spanish, my gut instinct is *very strong* that I would much rather book the package with the dive op and not the hotel.

As far as dive sites: honestly, the boat dive sites are all pretty darn good usually. We like Columbia Deep, and Palancar Bricks, and Paso de Cedral especially, but really on any given day I'm happy at any of the common reef sites. The C-53 is often done as the 2nd half of a shallow 2nd dive, and it is neat -- though not really as neat as the regular reef sites. It was specially prepared for divers, and divers of all levels often dive it. I'm conservative with my diving generally though, and personally I would not "penetrate" the inside unless following a DM closely (and most wrecks I would not follow a DM into at all). There is a section that is skeletal that I will swim through on my own. As long as you stay outside of the ship, it is a quite easy dive.

Misc. Thoughts:

For the C-53 and swim throughs -- focus on buoyancy control and frog kicks so as not to stir up silt.

Most dives in Cozumel are drift dives, so you both should carry a DSMB with spool/reel and know how to deploy it.

Most dive ops are o.k. if you skip the swim-throughs if not comfortable -- you can usually go over the top of the coral and follow the groups bubbles. Again, be ready with your DSMB in case you get separated from your group (not a big deal at all, happens a lot).
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I don’t think my girlfriend will mind the lack of comforts at the hotel but I’ll ask. I have heard very good things about the dive sites you mentioned so it’s great to have that confirmed! Do you think it would be better to get the DSMB there? I don’t know if dive gear prices are cheaper there but that would be nice. I’ve been planning on getting one regardless.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I don’t think my girlfriend will mind the lack of comforts at the hotel but I’ll ask. I have heard very good things about the dive sites you mentioned so it’s great to have that confirmed! Do you think it would be better to get the DSMB there? I don’t know if dive gear prices are cheaper there but that would be nice. I’ve been planning on getting one regardless.
You should each have one when drift diving, in case you get separated. I don't think prices for gear are generally much cheaper, so I would go ahead and get it here and set it up (trim enough cord from the reel that you can get the bolt-snap in the holes, burn the end of the cord where you cut it, etc.). Ideally you should practice a bit in a pool or quarry if possible -- it's not rocket science, but you want to be smooth and avoid getting snagged or otherwise rocketing up with the DSMB inflated (make sure not to get snagged on the line, etc.).

Buying from a local shop may be better if they have a place to practice. If not, here's what I've been using for almost 5 years:

With one of their 100 foot spools, probably trimming 15 feet or so of line to have room for the bolt-snap.

Prices are higher on the island than internet sources at home.

Skip the C53 and enjoy the reefs.

Watch some of the videos of the c53

Nice new hotel on the north end is Puerto Libre. On the waterfront, close to the airport. Walking distance to many excellent restaurants. Daily cab ride to the Fonatur marina turns out to be pretty convenient; the girls at the front will hook you up with a daily driver at a set time. Much nicer than a “dive hotel.”

Azul Divers is a fantastic boutique dive op. Usually six divers on the boat, plus two divemasters and the captain. The boat hauls ass. They offer Nitrox. Get certified for that before you go. Have a Nitrox-capable computer.

Agree with each having a DSMB and knowing how to use it. Lots of boat traffic in CZM. You don’t want a propeller haircut.

Work on buoyancy, trim and air consumption. Drift diving will test all of those skills. Happy diving!

It sounds like you have lodging and diving set up. Once you're on the dive boat you won't have a lot of say in where you go. The captain and DMs will make the decision but may ask your preferences. In my opinion there really are no bad dive sites in Cozumel. Haven't done the C53 so can't comment. Look for the restaurant thread on the Cozumel forum for good info on where to eat. Barracuda is a great location to walk to good restaurants. The further you get away from the ocean the better the prices and, often, the better the food (again, IMO). Rock N Java will be a stone's throw, on the same side of the road as Barracuda, and they have really good carrot cake - and Smash Box for burgers is right next door and has great, inexpensive burgers and fries. Jeanie's (attached to Barracuda I think) is hit or miss. The last couple of times we were there were misses, but others seem to still really like them.

The water will be chilly (80 degrees at the end of last January) so bring neoprene, and a boatcoat for surface intervals. It's a beautiful time of year there. You'll have fun! :)

Pick a good valet dive op (there are plenty listed on SB). The divers on the boat usually pick the sites for the day with advice on conditions by the DMs. If the C53 is a bucket list for you, by all means suggest it. Otherwise, be happy going where the experienced divers and DMs take you. It won't be their first rodeo. Let the shop know it's your first time in Coz and be up front with them about your skill levels. Let them do their job and get you with the right boat/group/DM so you get the most from your dive experience. Relax and have fun.😊
Hint: the more times you return the better Coz gets :cool::bounce::bounce::bounce::clearmask:

I like the Barracuda. Nice location across the street from the Supermarket anda short walk to town. There's a coffee shop on the block and a bar/restaurant on the premises under a different owner. The bar at the Barracuda is busy during the day but quiets down early in the evening. If you book the Barracuda through Tres Pelicanos you can get competitive prices to Dive Paradise with a superior operator (3P).

The covered bow area on the C53 is easily done by a newer diver. Going further involves corridors and may trigger some anxiety. Dropping into larger deck cutouts is low-stress and cool to see the inside; either exit from the same cutout or swim through to the next opening (maybe 3 kicks away).

The DM will likely lead a group through the corridors to the bathroom (2 mins, it's quick), and a group of divers may stay on the bow area or outside. Discuss pre-dive about the potential to temporarily split from GF if there's someone else staying out that you both trust and you want to go in. Decide hand signals (for example, if she's not up for it, she points to you, then the corridor, as in "you go" then herself, "buddy" sign aligning 2 fingers, then the chosen temporary buddy, as in "I'll stay here with Joe"). Or you both just skip the bathroom, it's not spectacular by any means.

Definitely take a light for looking under reef ledges and of course inside the ship. There's lots of ambient light, but it's useful to point out things to your buddy by circling it with yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom