AOW, Stay and General Advice for Cozumel/Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok people, I made it to Cozumel šŸ˜± the bag drag is brutalā€¦ Iā€™m gonna try to fly in directly next time lol at least one way. šŸ¤£ Soo I just realized one of my dive shops didnā€™t give me any details about where to meet or when for a dive thatā€™s tomorrow morning. Thatā€™s bad right? The second dive shop has clearly communicated everything so maybe it didnā€™t register in my brain the first one hasnā€™t sent me these details. I guess Iā€™m just gonna have to show up tomorrow at 7.30 and hope for the best? šŸ„²
If it is 3P go over to the shop if that was the arrangement early maybe 0725 to get all squared away your first day. If it is not open yet somebody will come open it in a few minutes.

I avoid the bag drag but I wouldn't call it brutal. There must be more to your story.

Yeah, the dive shop should have given meet-up info and I would not just show up if I can avoid it. Have you called them? Many shops have 24 phone service. Have you checked their website?
They just replied some time ago and looks like weā€™re on!

Ok people, I made it to Cozumel šŸ˜± the bag drag is brutalā€¦ Iā€™m gonna try to fly in directly next time lol at least one way. šŸ¤£ Soo I just realized one of my dive shops didnā€™t give me any details about where to meet or when for a dive thatā€™s tomorrow morning. Thatā€™s bad right? The second dive shop has clearly communicated everything so maybe it didnā€™t register in my brain the first one hasnā€™t sent me these details. I guess Iā€™m just gonna have to show up tomorrow at 7.30 and hope for the best? šŸ„²
I'm guessing it's not 3P, as they are usually very thorough in their emails -- though perhaps so detailed that one could overlook the sentence that says to be at the shop no later than 7:40 (a short walk from Casa Mexicana) . If it's the other dive shop (Maple Leaf Scuba), I haven't heard of them before -- will look forward to hearing how you like them.

Tres Pelicans and Maple Leaf Scuba both have their locations well explained on their sites. It's important that both parties agree on where and when to meet but he has that covered.

Update: first diving day done! Did PPB and drift dive portion of my AOW class with MLS - I think Iā€™m beginning to get the hang of buoyancy and feeling more confident! Saw a huge turtle (hawksbill I think!) and a beautiful stingray ā¤ļø so this is already a win. Good part about being a student is that this was completely 1:1, so I am also beginning to get comfortable with drift diving.

I have dives scheduled every day through 28th but the rest of the day is free. Thinking of going to punta sur eco park on one of the days, worth it? Also typically how much does renting a car on the island cost? I asked one of the guys showing people a rental car and he said 70 usd a day and that sounded too fishy so I declined. Any other recommendations?

PS: this group has been so helpful, I canā€™t even believe this post got so much traction and people are still responding to my questions, so thank you everyone šŸ™šŸ½

Car price sounds about right , but there will likely be insurance add ons. Some necessary some not. Will let other people chime in. Main thing is to have every nick and dent on form when you rent it. Also take pictures and video before you leave with it. It has been a scam forever to charge tourists over and over for same dent

Car rental is $40-50 a day at ISIS or Emilyā€™s with full insurance.
Same at HTL, which is who we've been using lately. Any rental that is under that amount be very suspicious - it probably doesn't include all of the insurance needed. Most U.S. insurance will not cover, and relying on credit card insurance can result in being detained a while until the card company comes through.

Car rental is $40-50 a day at ISIS or Emilyā€™s with full insurance.
Havenā€™t rented a car in 6 years , but flagging that ordinarily prices used to be quite a bit higher than annual average during Christmas/New Years

update: 5 days of diving done! šŸ¤Æ it was a great time, I definitely feel a lot more confident compared to the beginning of this trip. Made some friends I met on the boat and met one of the folks here in person. Itā€™s cool how it didnā€™t feel like a solo trip for the most part.

Saw eagle rays, turtles (saw a LOGGERHEAD!!!), lots of lobsters (had no idea they were so large), eels, sharks, rays, flounders.. the reefs here are something else and drift diving is quite fun. And as some people here said, I will most definitely be returning to Cozumel. :)

Some things that made me sad:

Poor diving habits/behaviors even from ā€œexperiencedā€ divers - touching and poking things, getting so close to take photos to the point of being a foot away from a shark (let her sleep in peace!) or being so distracted taking photos that theyā€™re not mindful what their fins are hitting. Unfortunately being relatively young and a new diver it is difficult to confront these behaviors. I did let the shop know privately but since they want to keep their clients returning I donā€™t know if theyā€™ll do anything about it.

Of course the bleached tips of coral - nearly not as bad as what Iā€™ve seen from photos in Florida but itā€™s a preview of death and whatā€™s to come if we donā€™t protect our reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom