First time diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mentioned hand signals above in conjunction with either going or not going into corridors of the c53, but there are numerous swim-throughs in the reefs as well. Whoever is in front should get confirmation from their buddy before entering those as well. Even if buddy says, "I'll go over", the situational awareness is useful.

Good point re: swim-throughs. They are fun, but more so when discussed in the pre-dive briefing. Divers should have sharp trim and buoyancy control, and situational awareness about moving steadily through without kicking up sand or silt. There’s no shame in going over the top. Visibility is generally good enough that groups can reunite on the other side without drama. Yet if there are other groups close by or current is strong, it can be more challenging to regroup.

Having a dive light is handy, as mentioned.

Happy diving!

Nice new hotel on the north end is Puerto Libre. On the waterfront, close to the airport. Walking distance to many excellent restaurants. Daily cab ride to the Fonatur marina turns out to be pretty convenient; the girls at the front will hook you up with a daily driver at a set time. Much nicer than a “dive hotel.”

Azul Divers is a fantastic boutique dive op. Usually six divers on the boat, plus two divemasters and the captain. The boat hauls ass. They offer Nitrox. Get certified for that before you go. Have a Nitrox-capable computer.

Agree with each having a DSMB and knowing how to use it. Lots of boat traffic in CZM. You don’t want a propeller haircut.

Work on buoyancy, trim and air consumption. Drift diving will test all of those skills. Happy diving!
Thank you! I’ll take a look at that hotel you recommend. As for the DSMB I’ll get a couple of those today and get practicing!

It sounds like you have lodging and diving set up. Once you're on the dive boat you won't have a lot of say in where you go. The captain and DMs will make the decision but may ask your preferences. In my opinion there really are no bad dive sites in Cozumel. Haven't done the C53 so can't comment. Look for the restaurant thread on the Cozumel forum for good info on where to eat. Barracuda is a great location to walk to good restaurants. The further you get away from the ocean the better the prices and, often, the better the food (again, IMO). Rock N Java will be a stone's throw, on the same side of the road as Barracuda, and they have really good carrot cake - and Smash Box for burgers is right next door and has great, inexpensive burgers and fries. Jeanie's (attached to Barracuda I think) is hit or miss. The last couple of times we were there were misses, but others seem to still really like them.

The water will be chilly (80 degrees at the end of last January) so bring neoprene, and a boatcoat for surface intervals. It's a beautiful time of year there. You'll have fun! :)
80 degrees is chilly??? Best I’ve ever dove was 75 and I thought that was nice and toasty. Much better than the usual 45 I dive in my 7mm. Idd definitely check out the restaurant thread. I like me some good food especially after I dive!

Pick a good valet dive op (there are plenty listed on SB). The divers on the boat usually pick the sites for the day with advice on conditions by the DMs. If the C53 is a bucket list for you, by all means suggest it. Otherwise, be happy going where the experienced divers and DMs take you. It won't be their first rodeo. Let the shop know it's your first time in Coz and be up front with them about your skill levels. Let them do their job and get you with the right boat/group/DM so you get the most from your dive experience. Relax and have fun.😊
Hint: the more times you return the better Coz gets :cool::bounce::bounce::bounce::clearmask:
Sounds good to me! I haven’t gotten to travel and dive before so I’m looking forward to it!

The covered bow area on the C53 is easily done by a newer diver. Going further involves corridors and may trigger some anxiety. Dropping into larger deck cutouts is low-stress and cool to see the inside; either exit from the same cutout or swim through to the next opening (maybe 3 kicks away).

The DM will likely lead a group through the corridors to the bathroom (2 mins, it's quick), and a group of divers may stay on the bow area or outside. Discuss pre-dive about the potential to temporarily split from GF if there's someone else staying out that you both trust and you want to go in. Decide hand signals (for example, if she's not up for it, she points to you, then the corridor, as in "you go" then herself, "buddy" sign aligning 2 fingers, then the chosen temporary buddy, as in "I'll stay here with Joe"). Or you both just skip the bathroom, it's not spectacular by any means.

Definitely take a light for looking under reef ledges and of course inside the ship. There's lots of ambient light, but it's useful to point out things to your buddy by circling it with yours.
Excellent! I’ll bring this up with her and see how she feels (and again when we are there) Thank you!

80 degrees is chilly??? Best I’ve ever dove was 75 and I thought that was nice and toasty. I guess Mexico water is different. I’ll make sure to bundle up nice and good! :) Id definitely check out the restaurant thread. I like me some good food especially after I dive!

Nice new hotel on the north end is Puerto Libre. On the waterfront, close to the airport. Walking distance to many excellent restaurants. Daily cab ride to the Fonatur marina turns out to be pretty convenient; the girls at the front will hook you up with a daily driver at a set time. Much nicer than a “dive hotel.”

Azul Divers is a fantastic boutique dive op. Usually six divers on the boat, plus two divemasters and the captain. The boat hauls ass. They offer Nitrox. Get certified for that before you go. Have a Nitrox-capable computer.

Agree with each having a DSMB and knowing how to use it. Lots of boat traffic in CZM. You don’t want a propeller haircut.

Work on buoyancy, trim and air consumption. Drift diving will test all of those skills. Happy diving!
I second Azul Divers, Andresand Almendra are great. We live on the island and dive with them all the time. They are instructors as well, so you can certify Nitrox (or anything really) with them. You dive with the owners not some freelance divemasters, small group, dive your tank, you can ask for a particular dive site and they will try to accommodate. I don't know why some divers don't like the wreck, I love it. I've been several times, I penetrate with my gf who's OW of about 140 dives. A couple of times the submarine came to see the wreck when we were there, extra treat.

1679755715246_color_corrected.jpeg

The sub! My buddy took this of me outside the wreck. The people on the sub were waving wildly at us. Andres doesn’t like the wreck much, but Almendra does. :wink:

I wouldn't stay anywhere but Scuba Club.

I've been to Coz about 20 times, Scuba Club is still our #1 place.

We also stayed at Fiesta Americana a few times because we could use Hilton points to stay for free, but their beachside has since closed and we haven't been back to F.A.

I've been on night dives all around the world - New England, Florida, Cozumel, Honduras, Caymans, Bonaire, Turks & Caicos, Great Barrier Reef, Palau, Maldives, Thailand, etc

Paradise Reef in Cozumel has given us the best night dives that we have ever experienced. It's not good 100% of the time but it's still pretty darn good.

There is a really cool batik shop near the plaza on Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas. "Mayan Batik Factory." Be sure to stop in, say hola to Carlos, and buy cool T-shirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom