Alternatives to Halcyon ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcatwiggy

Reaction score
I am torn. I prefer the BP/W setup and all that goes with it. But the problem is if I compare the Halcyon setup from one of my local dive shops vs a non "DIR" setup of another, the price differential is huge. I have to stay within my budget. I anticipate doubles in the future, so the price of future expansion has to figure into my budget. I don't want to start with a basic DIR rig and expect to grow from there. I will be doing this all in one huge transaction. So controlling the price is important. The ceiling on my budget for all equipment is about $5000 'ish. That includes a drysuit.

My DIR lds is all Halcyon, guages, knives, lights, wings etc. The other LDS is Zeagle Ranger, React Pro, different fins. Perhaps its the location difference between the two and the customer base that they serve. The DIR lds is located in an upper crust town and the other is a regular town.

I know that DIR is not necessarily Halcyon, but this LDS is the only one in the area that supports the DIR philosophy.

What other manufacturers offer DIR style equipment for less than Halcyon? Halcyon has the "name" but who else has the same quality, or better? Also, how do local DIR lds's react to coming in for education -n- other stuff when you haven't bought the majority of equipment from them. I am not interested in "grey" market merchandise.

Thanks
John

Try OMS, the other big contender in the game. And you can make it more or less DIR for your needs and liking, you are not stuck with a single configuration.

Dive Rite, Oxycheq, OMS and Zeagle (note that a Ranger is not DIR) all make gear that can be configured DIR, although there are a few things you must ask for and/or alter, such as the inflator pull dump and corrugated hose length. They all make quality equipment (including Halcyon), so choose on price.

Ben

John - if you're anticipating doubles in the future, I would only assume that means you're considering technical diving in the future. And let me say this in all seriousness - if you can't afford technical diving, don't get started. This stuff is too dangerous to be doing 'on a budget.' If you have to make a decision about safety vs. cost recovery, you do NOT want to be thinking about cost recovery.

There are a number of equipment manufacturers that make very good gear. I'm not saying they're better than or as good as Halcyon - I just want to caution you - don't purchase something that's 'almost as good.' You'll just regret it in the long run.

Aqua Ho:
Try OMS, the other big contender in the game. And you can make it more or less DIR for your needs and liking, you are not stuck with a single configuration.

a) OMS is NOT the "other big contendor," especially for DIR gear. That, IMO, would be Dive Rite or Oxycheq.

b) There is no such thing as "more or less DIR for your needs." You're either DIR or you're not.

I'm just curious, Aqua Ho - who was your DIR-F instructor?

Boogie711:
a) OMS is NOT the "other big contendor," especially for DIR gear. That, IMO, would be Dive Rite or Oxycheq.

b) There is no such thing as "more or less DIR for your needs." You're either DIR or you're not.

I'm just curious, Aqua Ho - who was your DIR-F instructor?
I am not into the DIR mentality as I don not believe that all of us have to have the same config when it comes to diving, nor is it a 100% guaranteed thing that I will be doing things the same way as you or would like to be forced to do them as such. (this is not meant to start a DIR vs non-DIR debate and or flaming war here - we all have our own brains to think with and to use them) On the other hand I do like some of the teachings and ideas of the DIR movements. So that should answer your last questions.

a) I was aware of the other manufacturers but had a brain fart at the time so I failed to include them into my reply, my apologies.

b) Also what I meant by "more or less DIR for your needs" also has to do with my non-DIR (yet safe and cautious with redundancy) approach to diving. As I have already mentioned I do not 100% agree with everything that is labelled DIR but there are a few things that are good to use and good to adopt, thus "more or less DIR for your needs" based on the diving you do. SO with having that said, I believe that you can adopt a number of practices and use them when diving, let it be DIR or DIY - as long as it works for you and you are around to talk about it, use it. After all diving should be fun and not a cult movement.

Aqua Ho:
I am not into the DIR mentality as I don not believe that all of us have to have the same config when it comes to diving, nor is it a 100% guaranteed thing that I will be doing things the same way as you or would like to be forced to do them as such. (this is not meant to start a DIR vs non-DIR debate and or flaming war here - we all have our own brains to think with and to use them) On the other hand I do like some of the teachings and ideas of the DIR movements. So that should answer your last questions.

a) I was aware of the other manufacturers but had a brain fart at the time so I failed to include them into my reply, my apologies.

b) Also what I meant by "more or less DIR for your needs" also has to do with my non-DIR (yet safe and cautious with redundancy) approach to diving. As I have already mentioned I do not 100% agree with everything that is labelled DIR but there are a few things that are good to use and good to adopt, thus "more or less DIR for your needs" based on the diving you do. SO with having that said, I believe that you can adopt a number of practices and use them when diving, let it be DIR or DIY - as long as it works for you and you are around to talk about it, use it. After all diving should be fun and not a cult movement.

OK and all, but - this is the DIR forum. He's looking for a DIR answer...

"6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum." As seen here.

Got a question that's "sorta" in the same vein as this thread - Is the DIR config for the corrugated hose on the wing 12 inch? 1) Is this for reasons of drag or is it easier for dumping air? I'm going to be learning in a Dive-Rite Venture wing (Thanks gator for your advice on it - it's a nice wing) and I believe it has a 22 inch hose on it plus the "pull dump." 2) Is the problem with the pull dump that one might "pull" it off? or is there another concern (since if you never pull on it wouldn't it remain the same) Just wanting to know the reasoning behind all of this - I know the thrid difference is that the venture (and many other non-halcyon) have the ball on the lower dump valve - but that's easily removed. Onebrightgator I'd appreciate your take on this too since if I remember right you are diving this rig still aren't you?

Thanks for letting me add to the original question a bit.

Tim

btw - If this is too much of a "hickack" on this thread I'll be happy to move it to a new thread.

I'm getting requests in the DIR forum... you guys see this? :)

I'm not positive on the DIR length, I would assume it should be just long enough to reach the shoulder D-ring and allow you to orally inflate it, that being said the hose on my Pioneer 36 was 15 inches (now on my Classic).

Well, most people say pull dumps are bad because you shouldn't be yanking on life support equipment, but also, they're kinda cheesy. Unscrew the cap on the end of pull dump (seriously, do it) and look inside and you'll see a purge valve just like on snorkels... not very "robust". This could still fail even if you don't use it, you could aqua-seal it or something, but it's better to just get an elbow (you need a specific one)

As far as the ball goes, tie a knot in the string a little past finger's length then cut the rest off after the knot and melt the end to keep it from unravelling.

I do still dive this rig, in fact it spent 3 months on a boat this summer doing 95 dives and spending 65+ hours underwater and still going strong.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom