Diving Concepts dry gloves...inner wrist seal or not??

Do you utilize a inner seal on your drygloves and have you ever flooded a dry glove?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Not to sure what the DIR take on this is. I am thinking it would be to keep a inner seal but how many of you actually do so is my question along with a few others below.

How many of you utilizing DC drygloves keep the inner wrist seal?

Have any of you ever had your dry gloves flood.....of course if there is no inner wrist seal your suit flooded with it.

I used the blue style drygloves on my last drysuit for a few years. Although i did utilize a inner wrist seal I never had a lick of problems with my goves leaking or flooding during that time. I know some suits can be a bear to install inner seals due to the sleeve diameter and trying to turn the suit arm right side out with the ring attached to esatblish the inner seal.

The reason I am asking this is I am looking at buying a custom DC duraflex pro and one of the options they offer is having the dry glove ring attached directly to the drysuit sleeve eliminating the latex wrist seals on the sleeve side. The connector can then be used with either a dry glove or a latex wrist seal attached to the ring. The downside is that you lose the ability to run a inner seal.

The new style neoprene DC dry gloves seem to look pretty durable to me....even more so than the blue rubber style gloves but even so I am still nervous about not having a inner wrist seal as i cant imagine coming back to shore with flooded suit during a shore dive but the attached ring system is so nice not having to worry about wrist seals.

lal7176:
Not to sure what the DIR take on this is. I am thinking it would be to keep a inner seal but how many of you actually do so is my question along with a few others below.

Have any of you ever had your dry gloves flood.....of course if there is no inner wrist seal your suit flooded with it.

I used the blue style drygloves on my last drysuit for a few years. Although i did utilize a inner wrist seal I never had a lick of problems with my goves leaking or flooding during that time. I know some suits can be a bear to install inner seals due to the sleeve diameter and trying to turn the suit arm right side out with the ring attached to esatblish the inner seal.

The reason I am asking this is I am looking at buying a custom DC duraflex pro and one of the options they offer is having the dry glove ring attached directly to the drysuit sleeve eliminating the latex wrist seals on the sleeve side. The connector can then be used with either a dry glove or a latex wrist seal attached to the ring. The downside is that you lose the ability to run a inner seal.

The new style neoprene DC dry gloves seem to look pretty durable to me....even more so than the blue rubber style gloves but even so I am still nervous about not having a inner wrist seal as i cant imagine coming back to shore with flooded suit during a shore dive but the attached ring system is so nice not having to worry about wrist seals.

You have to keep the inner seal, DIR or no DIR. If you get a major rip in a glove or (gasp) you somehow dislodge a glove (it can happen, it has happened to me) then your suit can fill up with water if you don't hvae an inner seal and that's not a laughing matter. If the water is really cold even a few litres of water in your suit can make you go hypothermic in less time than it would generally take you to get out of the water and change in to dry clothes. With an inner seal only your hand is affected, which will hurt like hell but it's not life threatening.

R..

Yep, you want the inner seal as explained by Diver0001. Get the DC suit with latex seals intalled, then get the aftermarket dry glove ring "kit" with O-rings, another set of latex seals and instructions. The instructions from DC show how to install the rings so you have an inner wrist seal.

As for DC's neoprene gloves - most of the folks here who bought them had them start leaking within a few dozen dives. I have 2 sets of the smurf gloves (so when one gets damp, I have a dry set) with over 100 dives on each set. So far so good....

lal7176:

Inner wrist seal all the way

A buddy of mine flooded his suit and had large (too large) equalization tubes. There were tears in the gloves (smurf gloves) and he flooded FAST. Leave the wrist seals in and just use a piece of bungee or cave line to equalize the pressure.

I used the blue style drygloves on my last drysuit for a few years. Although i did utilize a inner wrist seal I never had a lick of problems with my goves leaking or flooding during that time.

It only takes once at the wrong time in cold enough water!

The new style neoprene DC dry gloves seem to look pretty durable to me....even more so than the blue rubber style gloves

They aren't. I thought the same thing. The neoprene ones started leaking very shortly after installing them. Leaks with them are difficult to find, but they also aren't as catestrophic as with the blue gloves. With the blue gloves, if you tear a glove, you KNOW IT. With the neoprene ones it begins as just a little trickle. The problem is, I was aquasealing them after every dive. I've now switched to the smurf gloves and am much happier. I bought 3 sets, so when one wears out, I always have another plus a spare.

Definitely keep the inner seal. I use the OS Systems dry gloves with the blue Atlas gloves. I've flooded a glove a few times (not getting the ring sealed right, glove popped off the O-ring and a failed glove) and it is nice that the only thing that gets wet is my hand.

Also, I've been out on a boat dive and forgotten my dry gloves before (don't ask :cwmddd: ) I borrowed a pair of wet gloves and did the dives, something I could not have done without the inner wrist seal intact.

Jimmie

keep the seal. All i use for equalization is the thumb loop on my undergarment. Even if glove fails, not much water will be getting through there.

kalvyn:
Also, I've been out on a boat dive and forgotten my dry gloves before (don't ask :cwmddd: ) I borrowed a pair of wet gloves and did the dives, something I could not have done without the inner wrist seal intact.

Jimmie

Lucky you had a dive buddy with a spare pair, eh? :eyebrow:

When I got my original DC suit I had the dry rings mounted on the inner seals. Lasted four dives till a glove flooded ... and I mean FLOODED! It wasn't pretty.

Haven't used dry gloves since ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used to have the neoprene gloves. Since sold them along with the drysuit for financial reasons, but I wouldn't get the neoprene gloves again. The out shell of neoprene "slides down" from the ring, exposing a softer seal material underneath.

I originally had mine with "no inner seal", but found that after converting them to having the "inner seal", the wrist ring would not stay on the drysuit, and instead of just the glove coming off, both the glove and the entire ring set would pop off unexpectedly. I think it was because the o-rings had been stretched getting the "no inner seal" installed in the first place. So if you're switching between the two, you might want to grab a new set of o-rings.

Also the "no inner seal" stretches out the wrist seals to an unusable size should you ever decide to dive with no gloves attached. Next drysuit will have blue smurf gloves with the inner seal.

I ordered my suit with regular latex wrist seals. For now i am going to use my neoprene wet gloves and used my dryglove money to upgrade the zipper on the suit i ordered to a HD zipper(200.00 upgrade...ouch). I will save up for a few more months and buy me a set of DC smurf dry gloves. Thanks for all of the responses.

This really does not have much to do with innerseal dry gloves but a good alternitive is using simple blue fishing gloves that are about $10 at a marine store and glueing latex wrist seals to the bottom, a little custom work will be required for propper size

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom