Suunto Mosquito, Concerned!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, Just purchased a Mosquito on the net from a popular site (which advertized here) in Spain. On two dives in a recent trip to Turks and Caicos, I reached the no deco limit and the computer showed a NDL of zero. I came up to see the NDL rise to a reasonable time and hung out with plenty of PSI. When I transfered the dive to my laptop, the graph showed a different story than was portrayed by the computer during the dives. In the graph mode, the computer was showing ascent times (sometimes binking) and a ceiling of 10 ft. This info never showed on the wristop computer during the dives, only a NDL limit. I'm confident of this, as I was watching my new computer closely. I did extra long safety stops at 15 ft. Has anyone ever seen this? Do I Need to send it back to the non-authorized dealer overseas?

Thanks,
Schwim

That's normal. The download does not bring in 100% of the data... only the 20-second samples (or are they 60 on the Mosquito?).
There's a comment in the manual that the downloaded decompression information will not match reality.

Rich, yes it is every 20 seconds. The downloaded profile shows extended times-- several uninterrupted minutes of ceiling and ASC time, which were never displayed on the wristop. It looks like the data was analyzed to a greater degree in the downloaded material. Even with only the no deco time displayed during the dive, no limits were violated according to the graphed data.

Thanks,
Schwim

I'm not sure about the Mosquito but on the Vyper you can change the sample speed to 10 secs. You have to do it through the dive manager software - not on the computer itself as far as I know.

Kim:
I'm not sure about the Mosquito but on the Vyper you can change the sample speed to 10 secs. You have to do it through the dive manager software - not on the computer itself as far as I know.
Mosquito uses only 20 sec . There is a thread discussing the possibility to change to 10 sec using the Dive Manager software and simulating the stinger sample rate ( 10 sec). Haven´t tried yet...

So Schwim, you obviosly didn't die... did you get bent?
What does that tell you about dive computers?

The Mosquito samples at a fixed 20sec interval for download purposes. The maximum depth during each 20sec interval is the stored depth. DURING the dive, the computer is sampling depth much more frequently and computing your N2 load and NDL status as it goes. When the samples are "clipped" the main result is that the overall dive looks deeper. The more consistent your depth, the less this willl happen, but if you are rising and falling in the water column (even without exceeding the Mosquito's 30ft/min rate), the effect will be greater.

You might want to search for threads that discuss "riding the NDL" on a computer as the limiting "compartment" tends to shift to slower tissues.

-Rob

Thanks, Rob (and everyone else) that makes good sense, I was right at the limit, but didn't actually cross over into a deco dive. The divemanager program overestimated my time at a deeper depth. I'm now more comfortable that nothing is wrong with the computer. I know that the Suunto algorithms are supposed to be quite conservative and wasn't as concerned about my health (Uncle Pug, I didn't get bent, as an answer to the supposed rhetorical question) as I was about the computer's function. I don't plan on testing this again though. Thanks, Schwim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom