Opinions needed - Cobra vs Pro Plus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the process of buying my computer. I am debating between Suunto Cobra and Oceanic Pro Plus 2 consoles.
I would appreciate people's opinion on which of these two computers to purchase, based on personal experience with either and/or warranty/customer service of each company. I am new to this site and have seen a lot of people mention Suunto, but not much mention of Oceanic. I would like to buy a computer that will provide me with many years of dependable service as well as the ability to upgrade, should I need it (i.e. nitrox).

Thanks in advanced for you opinions,
Phil

I'm using a Cobra and couldn't be happier. I have no experience with the Oceanic.

I have an Oceanic ProPlus 2 with the compass and quick disconnect. I've used it on 17 dives so far and its worked perfectly. I have the USB connector and PC software. Nice package. Software will download dive data and upload dive computer settings to/from the PC. The large display is easy on the eyes. Quick disconnect is real handy when downloading the dive logs on to the desktop PC. It also allows me to keep it safely tucked away in a padded storage bag when not in use. Learning to use all the functions and features took some time to get used to. Manuals are available on-line. Battery is user changeable. Only negatives I've heard is that some folks consider the dive algorithums to be less conservative than the Cobra's. I still use my dive tables in planning my dives and tend to be extra conservative. You'll find plenty of threads on here that address both models. Try doing a thread search.

I dive with an Oceanic Pro Plus - havent upgraded to the pro plus 2 because the one I have works perfectly. Plus Oceanic has always been very helpful and has gone out of their way to take care of any questions I might have had. I have no history with Suunto. I also have the pc download kit and it also works great. Before my Oceanic I dove with a Dacor microbrain pro plus, in fact I still use it as a back up and have noticed no difference in the profiles between the two.
I vote for Oceanic.
montyb

Thank you for the replies. I will search this site for more information.
As it stands, I believe I will go with the Pro Plus 2. I really like the large display compared to the cobra.

I've dived extensively with the DataMax Pro Plus (the main difference between it and the Pro Plus 2 is the water activation function, I think) and the Cobra. Both are great computers although the Cobra can be extremely conservative in some situations. Oceanic's big display is great and the two push buttons are very easy to use. The Cobra's compact size and safety stop countdown is great too. I actually own the Pro Plus but have been diving with a borrowed Cobra for my last 100 or so dives as my girlfriend now uses my Pro Plus. I am buying an Oceanic Atom very soon so that we'll both be using comparable algorithm (I tend to have less dive time with the Cobra). Anyway, both computers are great but if I had to make a choice I would choose the Oceanic.

BTW if you are considering the Pro Plus 2, you should also look at other very similar computers such as the Aeris Atmos ai and Sherwood Wisdom

i dive a cobra and am very happy with it. the display is certainly large enough underwater, and battery life can't be beat! - 2 years and 100 dives on it and it still reads full battery on the display (don't think the wisdom has that). there's also a really good source available online - i'm looking at buying a second one for my brother - and it's a lot less than i paid for mine! www.divetank.net (and they're nice people too!)

TeqP:
I would like to buy a computer that will provide me with many years of dependable service as well as the ability to upgrade, should I need it (i.e. nitrox).

Thanks in advanced for you opinions,
Phil

forgot to mention that both computers will give you basic nitrox capability, i.e. up to 50%. As for upgrade to something like multiple gas or up to 99/100% O2 mix, I don't think that can be done with either computers. Progressive upgrades are usually available for Tek-oriented computers such as Cochran (Gemini and Commander) and Delta P (VR2 and VR3)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom