Just received the Fundamentals book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,

Well, after a long wait due to backorders, my Fundamentals book arrived. I jumped right in and had a few thoughts about what was presented. And I am reading this with an open mind (I hope).

First off, I need to work on skills. Where I thought I was doing pretty good is obviously not where they would expect you to be. Even though I had a few in the advanced section (like being completely comfortable without a mask and clearing it when putting it back on, never thought about swimming around without it), almost all of the other skills are deficient. For some this is probably a huge blow to their ego. I know I am not the best diver out there, and I think that I am better than what the book makes me out to be. But I definitely need to work on the skills.

I also am getting a better understanding of the equipment configuration. I had thought that diving doubles was crazy in a shallow ow environment, and the book clearly lays that misunderstanding to rest. So I will read the book completely and then probably read it again for good measure. I am sure that I will have some questions.

Joe

btw>Did I read it correctly that a standard hose is still a DIR config or am I dreaming this. I do remember the 7' and 5' being mentioned.

JustJoe:
I had thought that diving doubles was crazy in a shallow ow environment, and the book clearly lays that misunderstanding to rest.

Once you start thinking about gas planning logically and from a team diving perspective, it doesn't take long to realize that a single Al80 at 100 ft doesn't give you much of a dive after you subtract your rock bottom pressure.

btw>Did I read it correctly that a standard hose is still a DIR config or am I dreaming this. I do remember the 7' and 5' being mentioned.

a 5'-7' hose is required for taking any GUE class, I believe. To be sure, check the standards on the GUE.com website.

Soggy, correct. You can use a 5' - 7' for a single tank rig and a 7' for a double tank rig.

You can look at the "hose kits" on the Halcyon site as well.

EDIT: But the book does state "5. Long Hose: Optional in shallow, open water diving, but mandatory in deeper or overhead diving; the long hose simplifies air sharing." ...

The GUE Syllabus for DIR-F states "One of the second stages must be on a 5-foot to 7-foot/1.5-meter to 2-meter hose" ... /EDIT

Rhad

Soggy:
Once you start thinking about gas planning logically and from a team diving perspective, it doesn't take long to realize that a single Al80 at 100 ft doesn't give you much of a dive after you subtract your rock bottom pressure.

This was one of the biggest revelations of the RecTriox class. I had thought my hp 100 was adequate but diving to say 120 fsw, I found I had very little margin.

So the book was discussing that if you were doing OW dives in warm water that you should use AL80's and that if you were using steel tanks you should use a dry suit. Now the jist was that you want to ensure the ability to swim to the surface if there was a bc failure.

My question, what would it matter if your were properly weighted in the first place? If you were neutral with an empty (500psi) steel tank or neutral with an AL tank, what is the difference? Is it the idea that you can dump weight and become positive with the AL tanks? But wouldn't the same hold true with steel? I am a little confused.

Joe

JustJoe:
So the book was discussing that if you were doing OW dives in warm water that you should use AL80's and that if you were using steel tanks you should use a dry suit. Now the jist was that you want to ensure the ability to swim to the surface if there was a bc failure.

My question, what would it matter if your were properly weighted in the first place? If you were neutral with an empty (500psi) steel tank or neutral with an AL tank, what is the difference? Is it the idea that you can dump weight and become positive with the AL tanks? But wouldn't the same hold true with steel? I am a little confused.

Joe

Joe,

Think about this. To descend with a wetsuit requires a serious amout of weight to just overcome the wetsuit. This can be in the form of added weight, or a steel tank. The problem arises when you descend, and the wetsuit compresses. Now you have way too much weight at depth with a steel tank. In case of a wing failure at that point, you would probably not be able to swim up your rig. And you have nothing to ditch.

The AL 80, on the other hand, does not have the same weight. You need a weight belt to help descend, but now you have the ability to ditch that weight if necessary..

A drysuit balances out the steel tank, and gives you a way to add bouyancy to your whole rig if necessary in an emergency. (you don't want to use your drysuit for bouyancy while diving).

detroit diver:
Joe,

Think about this. To descend with a wetsuit requires a serious amout of weight to just overcome the wetsuit. This can be in the form of added weight, or a steel tank. The problem arises when you descend, and the wetsuit compresses. Now you have way too much weight at depth with a steel tank. In case of a wing failure at that point, you would probably not be able to swim up your rig. And you have nothing to ditch.

The AL 80, on the other hand, does not have the same weight. You need a weight belt to help descend, but now you have the ability to ditch that weight if necessary..

A drysuit balances out the steel tank, and gives you a way to add bouyancy to your whole rig if necessary in an emergency. (you don't want to use your drysuit for bouyancy while diving).

Hey DD,

I might have to go back and rethink my current gear and the rest of the DIR rig to fully get the magnitude of the problem. I dive exclusively in South Florida. Never been to a spring, only ocean or Gulf. I have a back inflate bc and usually a 3mm shorty (or a 3mm 1pc jumpsuit if it is winter). With a steel tank I still need 12 to 14lbs.

So I guess I would be overweighted in a bp/w? Sound right?

Joe

ps> I don't know if this matters but I have heard other people mention height and weight. I am 75" and 250.

JustJoe:
Hey DD,

I . I have a back inflate bc and usually a 3mm shorty (or a 3mm 1pc jumpsuit if it is winter). With a steel tank I still need 12 to 14lbs.

So I guess I would be overweighted in a bp/w? Sound right?

Joe

ps> I don't know if this matters but I have heard other people mention height and weight. I am 75" and 250.

My guess would be that are you are really, really overweighted. I find it hard to belived that will a steel tank you need any weight with a 3mm shorty.

A SS Backplate is going to add about 6lb negative to your boyancy. It will probably also drop another 2-4lbs because the wing and harness are not positive like most BCDs.

For instance I dive an AL80, in a 3mm full suit with my SS Backplate and no other weight and I am too heavy. With a steel tank I sink like a stone.

MASS-Diver:
My guess would be that are you are really, really overweighted. I find it hard to belived that will a steel tank you need any weight with a 3mm shorty.

Well, I will say that really really is maybe an exaggeration. I had a hard time getting to depth with 8lbs and the 1pc. So I added two lbs the next dive and I was slightly underweight (of course this is my opinion). So I added two more and I seemed to be comfortable, so I stuck with it. I remove two lbs (10 total) with the shorty.

The other thing is that when I am at my safety stop I have zero air in my bc, I ascend if I don't.

Joe

edited to add: at depth (70 to 90 fsw) I do add two short blasts of air to my bc when I first get down. I have to remember to release it during the ascention or I will ascend faster than I should

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom