Back injury!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My nasty little habit of doing too much kicked me in the spine again last week. I was out of work for five days this past week. It was so bad Saturday that the wife and I were contemplating whether or not I would be able to continue working or be bedridden for the rest of my life.
Rule # 1- Get a bigger chainsaw
Rule # 2- When the sweat starts pouring, take a break
Rule # 3- Don't let the Chiro crack the back on the PINCHED side!
Rule # 4- Don't EVER tell me I may never dive again!!!!
Rule # 5- THERAPY THERAPY THERAPY!!!!!
and hence, the wolf is back on his feet after burning sessions of muscle rub and hours of hot tub soaks, followed by painful exercises. The x-rays show minor degradation between some vertebrae which may limit activities later. Main doc on Wednesday will probably schedule an MRI to see what soft tissue damage is done. For now, I am focusing on rehabbing so the megadive is just that.
In '94 I had a motorcycle accident that threw me in a wheelchair learning to walk again. I cut the recovery timetable from one year to just over one month when they told me I'd never do martial arts again. In 9 months, I was kicking & breaking bricks in demos and competitions with a previously triple piece, broken shin in that leg!
I love SCUBA even more than martial arts as a recreational activity! Once rehabbed, I'll be looking to dive every week in SOME fashion, in SOME place!
It also helps when great friends show up at the house to visit! THX GIBBON!!!
Viva la megadive! Tonight when I get home, I'll scan the map, if the computer works right. I work nights during the week again, so I'll be limited to weekend dives as I have a toddler to watch during the day. We'll see what's happening by late October.

Hope your back heals soon, I know how irritating it can be even to find a comfortable sleeping position. There's always free diving before you're ready to start schlepping tanks around again.

I've considered the freedive thing since I have the state park pass. The cold water does wonders for relaxing sore muscles. Thanks too, Doc. It's getting better. Usually it takes about two weeks to pop back into place by itself, but I'd never had the intense pains I've had this past week. Darn that sciatic nerve! Too bad ya can't just cut them suckers and get back to normal activities. :)

Welp, I hope you have a speedy recovery. We can always toss your gear in the water for you to don weightlessly - :wink: Lets hope it doesn't come to that though!

KBeck:
Sorry to hear you were out of it; I'll be sure to bring an extra large portion of Capt. Morgan's for ya....should relax all those muscles, right?
The first Cabana Girl!!

My Dear Krista,... for years I loved Capt. Morgan, and Malibu's coconut rum, now I have found that Morgan has SPICED COCONUT RUM!!! Hmmm reason # 2 to start drinking again!!! (the back being #1 for those tuning in late)
Capt. Jack Sparrow,- "YES!, But why is the RUM gone?!"
Bring a 1.75 of Capt. Morg's Spiced Coco, and consider yourself WAITED ON!
(Even if I have to pay Chuck off to do it!)
As for the taking my gear to the water,... I have a design for a collapsible atv attached to a bc with a sealed nuclear powered dpv motor for propulsion. If I have to get my gear towed down to the water, it will be at WARP SPEED MR. SCOTT!!!
Thank you for the offer, though. Nice to know that's an option if the design doesn't pan out. :)

DEEPSEAWOLF:
and consider yourself WAITED ON!
(Even if I have to pay Chuck off to do it!)
:)
Consider it my "Get Well Soon" gift to you.

Chuck

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom