Morrison Spring Report - 10/14/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It sucked. Well, the basin did. Apparently when I wasnt looking, the river flooded again and Morrison was about 5 feet higher than usual and tanic. Water was up to the benches. Never the less, the Panama CIty Dive CLub was there with 20 or so people, the FSU diving program was there with 90 or so people, and then there were 40 or more misc cars. Luckily, I was planning on cavern diving, so my buddy and I swam past everyone and straight into the cavern, which was perfectly clear. The basin, however was pretty bad. 3ft viz to just above the hole, then 10ft viz above the hole and around the log. Computer said temp was 65f. We just did one dive for 35mins, with max depth of 85ft, then went home.

Ill have some pics tommorow.

Ouch!

We thought about heading up there after we left the jeddies but decided against it, I'm kinda glad now. Looking forward to the pics though.

I looked at the river stage web site the night befor our dive at the jetties and was hoping for a good day because it looked too iffy for Morrison. Vortex is always a back-up though.

Heres some pics from the weekend. One is us trying to push through the restriction. Well, technically, the side mount guy was. 2 of us were just providing light.

Just curious, but whats past the restriction? Does it open up to another cavern, or is it just a cave that snakes into the earth?

No way in hell I'll be squeezin my fat, untrained butt down there, but I'd still like to know :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Just curious, but whats past the restriction? Does it open up to another cavern, or is it just a cave that snakes into the earth?

No way in hell I'll be squeezin my fat, untrained butt down there, but I'd still like to know :)
According to this map - http://www.floridacaves.com/morrisonmap.pdf it opens up and goes deep. My buddy says he got his face to where he could see through it, and it looked like it opened up.

Jeebus, talk about really sucking it in :)

So you guys didn't actually make it through then? Its most definately a tight squeeze, I don't think I could manage it even with the side-mount tanks. I thought maybe it would open back up after the restriction, but couldn't remember reading anything on it. Goodluck on finding out yourself, I'd consider that a pretty hardcore cave dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom