Underwater housing cleaning and maintenance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How often should I remove the o-ring and do the whole cleaning/silicone deal? So far I've been out 3 times with my new DC-300 and Canon S30 and I've cleaned the o-ring before going out each time. I don't want to overdo it. Also, what is the best way to store the case when not in use?

You are right about not overdoing the o-ring maintenance. Each time you take the o-ring out you have the potential to have it stretch. For day to day use maintenance I visually inspect the oring and groove/sealing surface very carefully. I then run a little moisture (usually spit :wink:) around the o-ring using my fingertip.

I only use the grease once in a while and then only in very small amounts. I pull my o-ring out only when I see a build-up or debris and then I clean the groove with a sponge tipped applicator.

For storage I use two methods: take the oring out, put it in a plastic ziplock baggie, stick it all in the housing and close the housing. I latch and don't latch...not sure which one I prefer and don't seem to have a real hard and fast rule for this. Housing is then stored in a padded bag inside a tupperware container (I also have some foam sets for some tupperware made that the housing nestles in). Shock, dust and virtually everything proof.

My second method is to put an old set of o-rings in the grooves and keep the new ones in the baggie.

Just an Add-on to that, I find an "Old Toothbrush" works very well for clean out grooves and around things with debris.

Also, read from other threads, using a "Soft Ice Chest" for carrying/storing (open) works very well. (I'm talking just about the housing sized, no arms-strobes etc.) but makes a great carry all.. they have them in various sizes, enough to carry a dry towel, battery/disks and small items... great for boat dives and taking on trips to use at the resort/boat.

Hope that helps..

TinoD'Voe:
How often should I remove the o-ring and do the whole cleaning/silicone deal? So far I've been out 3 times with my new DC-300 and Canon S30 and I've cleaned the o-ring before going out each time. I don't want to overdo it. Also, what is the best way to store the case when not in use?

Canon recommends washing and oiling the o'ring after every dive. They do not recommend removing the o'ring except when you want to change it. They recommend changing it every year.

Back
Top Bottom