Sony housing fracture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed something odd while inspecting my Sony MPK-PHA housing during my last trip and found a small fracture near the lower hinge lug on the main body where the back cover attaches. It extends through the sealing surface where the o-ring seats and has progressed in size since I first discovered it. Being on vacation with no chance of replacement, I removed the current memory stick from my camera(almost 300 pics), stuck in a new one and decided to dive with it anyway, knowing I may not exit the next dive with a dry rig. To my surprise, it stayed dry as a bone and lasted through several dives after that.

Since many of the Sony housings are very similiar, has anyone out there found damage such as this in their housing and if so, where? The other question is Who has a replacement housing. I have looked online and many if not most advertised vendors list it as "out of stock", "not in stock", "discontinued", etc. Has Sony stopped making this housing?

Finally, to all who own a Sony housing, be sure to closely inspect your housing for any defect in the area near the hinges, as my discovery was very small at first detection but rapidly progressed. I lucked out!

Jet

Jet, I'll check my housing tonight. Mine's an older version. Check e-bay for a housing there should be several for sale.

Jet
thanks for the advice I will closely inspect my pack on a regular basis. What kind of luck have you had with the photos you have made? Which model camera do you have a p-10? What setting do you use with the flash, I have heard setting it to low or normal works the best. You seem that you dive with the case a lot. What grease did you use when you ran out of the factory grease? I have heard that the case is made for sony by sea & sea and that the s&s grease should work fine. What depths have you went with this case. I have a buddy that was past 140 ft and had no leaks.
I would appreciate any advice that you or any one else could give me I am a new owner of the case and I am not very familar with the proper settings
thanks drew

Back
Top Bottom