rigging backplate: buckle where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I am threading my new backplate and am not sure where to put the buckle. First, should it be a right hand release, like weight belt? Also, I see that most DIR setups have it on the right side of the body. I don't like that. i would prefer it to be on my left, with a right hand release. Can I do that and still be DIR compliant? My issue is this. I dive cold water and am a big guy, so I use 32lbs of weight. I am using a 16lb belt and mounting the Diverite weight pouches on the waist strap w/ 5lbs each and my final 6lbs coming from the SS BP. With the buckle on the right, I don't think there is enough room for the pouch, a canister light and still have accesss to the D-ring on that side. However I have the buckle to the left it seems more out of the way, and allows me to maximize space on the right where more gear is worn.

Buccaneer:
Okay, I am threading my new backplate and am not sure where to put the buckle. First, should it be a right hand release, like weight belt? Also, I see that most DIR setups have it on the right side of the body. I don't like that. i would prefer it to be on my left, with a right hand release. Can I do that and still be DIR compliant? My issue is this. I dive cold water and am a big guy, so I use 32lbs of weight. I am using a 16lb belt and mounting the Diverite weight pouches on the waist strap w/ 5lbs each and my final 6lbs coming from the SS BP. With the buckle on the right, I don't think there is enough room for the pouch, a canister light and still have accesss to the D-ring on that side. However I have the buckle to the left it seems more out of the way, and allows me to maximize space on the right where more gear is worn.

It looks like there's several issues here.

First, my impression is that you're little bit overweighted (32lbs + canister light - it's also counted as ditchable weight).

Second, you'll have stability problem (rolling) with so much weight put simetricaly and canister light.

Third, there's no right hip D-ring in DIR.

Buckle on the right can be used to position canister light if you don't use additional bucle for that purpose. Also, buckle on the right is more secure.

Buccaneer ... if you want to stop by the house with your rig I can help you work it out. We can discuss the pros and cons of different placement, and you can decide for yourself what you want to do.

I cannot guarantee your decision will be based on DIR practices ... that's up to you. But I can provide the DIR reasons for placing the buckle where they do and let you decide, after trying it that way, if it's something you want to do.

If you are thinking to take the DIR Fundamentals class, it's best to learn how (and why) to rig the harness as they recommend.

Bring your exposure gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you put it on the left, where do you position your cutting device?

Buccaneer:

Buccaneer:

Buccaneer,

I'm no DIR authority, so I post here at some risk.

Having said that, I will point out that at first glance, having the buckle on the right side of the body seems counter-intuitive, at least it did for me. What struck me as odd is that the entire buckle has to be passed thru the loop in the crotch strap, and this seemed to offer an impediment to rapid removal of the rig, i.e. the potential for the buckle to hang on the crotch strap loop.

In practice this has not proven a problem.

As others have pointed out having the buckle on the left side makes locating other gear like the knife problematic.

I will also say that I have found waist belted mounted weight pouches less than ideal. My rig has a 10lb plate (5 lb plate + 2 x 2.5 lb added weights). I use a belt with 8-10 lbs.

The main reason for me is being able to don my rig in the water. With no weight belt on, my wetsuit buoyancy makes achieving a verticle position difficult, and with weight pouches on the waist belt you need a fair amount of air in the wing. The rig tends to float plate down, and the wasit straps are about 4 feet under the surface.

With a weight belt on I can enter the water, and be verticle fairly easily, and the getting ahold of and fastening the waist belt is much easier. If the 16 lbs on your belt is enough to allow you to do this then perhaps the pouches are ok for you.

Others may differ, just my experience.

Regards,

Tobin

Might I also add that it will depend on the design of the weight pouches, but a buddy of mine once used them and I found that the right-hand one included a strap and buckle designed to hold the can light on it, to eliminate having a long row of items crowding the right hand part of the harness belt.

NWGratefulDiver:
Buccaneer ... if you want to stop by the house with your rig I can help you work it out. We can discuss the pros and cons of different placement, and you can decide for yourself what you want to do.

I cannot guarantee your decision will be based on DIR practices ... that's up to you. But I can provide the DIR reasons for placing the buckle where they do and let you decide, after trying it that way, if it's something you want to do.

If you are thinking to take the DIR Fundamentals class, it's best to learn how (and why) to rig the harness as they recommend.

Bring your exposure gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob, and to everyone else for their replies. I may end up taking you up on the offer, Bob. though for now my schedule is pretty full, and I am going to be out of town for about a week. (and no- not diving) Anyways, I'll stay in touch, and I'll make sure Sal calls you to get you out on the boat.

MonkSeal:
It looks like there's several issues here.

First, my impression is that you're little bit overweighted (32lbs + canister light - it's also counted as ditchable weight).

Second, you'll have stability problem (rolling) with so much weight put simetricaly and canister light.

Third, there's no right hip D-ring in DIR.

Buckle on the right can be used to position canister light if you don't use additional bucle for that purpose. Also, buckle on the right is more secure.
I haven't actually purchased my can light yet, but was planning on it. I didn't think about weight it may add. 32lbs for a guy who is 6 03 and 285lbs in a dry suit with undergarments in my opinion is not overweighted.

Buccaneer:
32lbs for a guy who is 6 03 and 285lbs in a dry suit with undergarments in my opinion is not overweighted.
With what cylinder(s)?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom