comments? suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandHopper

Reaction score
OK... so I finally got a camera ...

Here are some photos from the second dive with it (the first produced nothing worth posting :) ).

Are they any good ... what should I do differently ? anything obviously wrong ?

It's a Canon DC-40 with Canon housing ... I was pleased to discover that it remained watertight well past it's advertised depth of 100' :) ... though no pictures of worth were returned from those depths.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=19790

Looks like you have a good start there!

Next time out you can experiment more with angle - get lower than your subject for lots of WOW.

Looks like you have some that are exactly right for the strobe power...you will have to resign yourself to the fact that you can't squeeze out more strobe power from the internal flash...assuming you have it on full. You can (I think) change the intensity of the flash with the function button...this will allow you to lower the intensity when you are as close as possible and not blow out any whites/highlights etc; then you can set it for more power for things that are at the maximum range (around 4 feet). When I use the Canon A70 and no external strobe, I usually have my flash power on 2/3s...works for most things.

Get closer...find the minimum focus distance and use it. Exception is going to be those wider shots like the diver and the wreck...I'd probably turn my flash off and just go for the blues...it will eliminate any backscatter.

Great job - I think you'd have to be happy with those :)

One caution on going beyond the max depth rating - it may not leak right away, but it might weaken the housing and that can lead to big, unexpected problems later on. Not sure how common that is, but it is something to keep in mind.

Love to see more!

Back
Top Bottom