Cozumel D70 Gallery is up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdietz

Contributor
Reaction score
Kimberly and I got to spend last week in Cozumel and got in 18 dives. We had forgotten the challenges of getting good pictures with the steady current, but we managed to get a few every dive. We stayed in town and walked to our dive shop and then to the pier everyday. We only had to take 2 taxi rides all week....to and from the airport.

Once again, our D70/Ikelite rigs were easy to handle and worked great. I'm a little dissappointed with my WA efforts, but we found plenty of macro critters to make up for it.

http://www.kdietz.com

Karl

kdietz:
Kimberly and I got to spend last week in Cozumel and got in 18 dives. We had forgotten the challenges of getting good pictures with the steady current, but we managed to get a few every dive. We stayed in town and walked to our dive shop and then to the pier everyday. We only had to take 2 taxi rides all week....to and from the airport.

Once again, our D70/Ikelite rigs were easy to handle and worked great. I'm a little dissappointed with my WA efforts, but we found plenty of macro critters to make up for it.

http://www.kdietz.com

Karl

Some great shots - especially the small crabs and shrimps.
Thinking of getting a similar setup to yours - how big is the ike dome?

All Ikelite domes have a 3" radius....different lengths for different lenses....10.5mm is the shortest and is w/o shade....12-24 is a little longer and the 18-70 is longer yet!

You could get by with using the 12-24 with the 18-70 dome, but the corners will clip if the dome shade isn't aligned just right....it's worth the hassle to travel with one less dome IMHO

Karl

I don't think the currents affected you at all...fantastic shots! I'm really glad to see the one's from Palancar Bricks, it's probably my favorite dive sight there.

don't forget to submit some of them for our SB screensaver! :wink:

Thanks Dee.....we saw 5 turtles and a spotted eagle ray at the Bricks.....it's a great dive site....stunning structure

Karl

awesome shots Karl, I really like the macro stuff, pin sharp and great colours.

OK....so you got a few good shots,....now tell me, how good are your bad shots???

Fantastic slide show, the crispness...everything.....excellent! Thanks for sharing

Karl,

Great shots! What sort of digital workflow do you follow? The blues in your shots are really nice and I wonder if that's how it looks straight out of the camera or if they're adjusted in PS. Thanks for sharing.

marpacifica:
Karl,

Great shots! What sort of digital workflow do you follow? The blues in your shots are really nice and I wonder if that's how it looks straight out of the camera or if they're adjusted in PS. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the nice comments and questions.

I shoot in RAW and tweak white balance, exposure and saturation a little if required. Then I'll save as a PSD and will try autolevels to see if I'm happy with the results...if not, I'll use levels manually for each color individually. The blues are pretty nice out of the camera, but I'll go to Hue/Saturation and will add +1 to +4 of hue and +4 to +10 or more of saturation for the other colors....don't over do it or it will look fake.

I usually get very little backscatter, but when I do I delete it with the healing brush and rubber stamp....with the image blown up to 400%....this process becomes an artform and requires practice to make it look good.

I'm always amazed how long it takes to go through a week's worth of shots. I don't spend more than a couple of minutes per shot with color queaking, but it adds up.

Karl

Excellent shots Karl. Thanks for sharing, also really appreciated you putting all the exif info on the pictures as well especially on all the WAL since I still have absolutely no clue about ideal setting for WAL. I think I need to go diving and practice some more soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom