11/23 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's photos are dedicated to those of you that have prosumer digital cameras without an external strobe or add-on lenses.

All the photos were taken in Manual Mode using Manual White Balance calibrated off a piece of white plastic material at the 60 foot depth of the subjects. No strobe was used on any of the photos. They were shot at 1/80 and F stops between 3.5 and 5.5
Some adjustments were made in Photoshop 7.0 such as Auto Levels, Brightness, Contrast and Unsharp Mask. Helicon Noise Filter (free software download) was also used on some of the photos.

PHOTOS

Must have been the day for mantas...we had one on a site where we NEVER see them! I, of course, was set for supermacro so simply watched it glide carelessly by!

??Is your strobe broken or was this a deliberate exercise? It's a good example set for those who want to use MWB, for sure! Particularly effective on the reef scenes with the fabulous blue water...

Just goes to show that you don't need to spend a forture to get some great shots. Nice action there on the triggerfish with sand trailing it, and I really liked the manta shot too.

alcina:
Must have been the day for mantas...we had one on a site where we NEVER see them! I, of course, was set for supermacro so simply watched it glide carelessly by!

??Is your strobe broken or was this a deliberate exercise? It's a good example set for those who want to use MWB, for sure! Particularly effective on the reef scenes with the fabulous blue water...

My strobe is fine. Thanks for asking. It was a deliberate exercise.

Glad to hear it!!

This is a great idea and I am going to mark it so I can refer people back here for examples. On behalf of shooters everywhere THANKS for the taking the time to do this for us!

Love the Manta

Now if you would take the color out of the fish and background you'll be shooting on my level :D .

Gilligan - Curious about the size of the ray: it looks very small or is it just perspective ?
Nice pictures by the way: I now now I can sell my strobe and travel lighter !

Back
Top Bottom