Dir Bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering getting a 'proper' bc that is adaptable for both rec and cave diving but price is a consideration.

Firstly, I rather new to this so please excuse the newbie questions.

I have several options:

1. Zeagle bp, Hogarthian harness and a Zeagle 34 lb wing.

2. DSS bc with Hogarthian harness.
http://deepseasupply.com/page12.html
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page6.html

3. Halcyon bp w/ harness from ebay and a wing from another manufacturer.

I read with great interest and equal confusion that certain manufactures of bp/w are good but not DIR... Dive Rite, DSS, Jet Harness are such examples.

Therefore, what should the best cost/benefit option available?

Many thanks

SangP

SangP:
Hi guys,

I read with great interest and equal confusion that certain manufactures of bp/w are good but not DIR... Dive Rite, DSS, Jet Harness are such examples.

Many thanks

SangP

The Dive Rite BP is quite DIR not familiar with DSS or Jet Harness, now the Dive Rite wings stock are not as they have pull dumps in the exhaust elbow (but can be special ordered without one) and they have a plastic knob on the rear dump so that isn't DIR either but a knobectomy is easily performed. Dive Rite also sells 4 different harnesses so the only DIR one is the basic harness as the others have QR's or plastic somewhere in the harness. I personally dive a DR plate for my doubles and a OxyCheq plate for my single set-up I prefer the DR as had no problems with having to deburr it while the OxyCheq has had to be deburred extensively (although he has a new supplier for plates which is supposed to have eliminated that problem since I bought my a few years back). The OxyCheq single wings are great and generally a little cheaper than the Halycon or others.

SangP:
Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering getting a 'proper' bc that is adaptable for both rec and cave diving but price is a consideration.

Firstly, I rather new to this so please excuse the newbie questions.

I have several options:

1. Zeagle bp, Hogarthian harness and a Zeagle 34 lb wing.

2. DSS bc with Hogarthian harness.
http://deepseasupply.com/page12.html
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page6.html

3. Halcyon bp w/ harness from ebay and a wing from another manufacturer.

Many thanks

SangP

The answer depends on how "DIR" you want to become. It's easy to get caught up in the "small stuff", and lose sight of the fact that the real focus of DIR is performance.

For example - the plastic knob on the rear dump isn't DIR ... only Halcyon wings come without one. But in my DIR Fundamentals class, people with Oxycheq and other wings had a plastic pull dump and the instructor didn't make us take it off. And it didn't affect how we performed in the class at all. It's trivial ... and if you decide later on that it matters, it's simple to remove.

So, here's my advice ...

Harness - it's just a piece of 2-inch webbing with some hardware. As long as the buckles are stainless steel, there are no quick-releases, and the D-rings are not the welded kind, you're good to go. Follow the DIR guidelines found in the Fundamentals of Better Diving (pp 67-70), and it matters not at all who you buy it from.

Backplate - the most important selection concern is fit. For most of us, any standard size plate will do. For people who are taller or shorter than normal, there are manufacturers out there who make long and short plates that will fit you better. Deburring the edges is an issue ... you should either order a plate that comes deburred, or be handy with a dremel tool. If you decide to buy the DSS plate, it comes with rubber grommets to prevent harness wear. I don't know of any other plate that offers a similar feature, but the finish on the Halcyon and FredT plate (for example) is excellent and you won't have excessive wear issues. With others, you might want to ask about deburring when making your purchase. Most people go with a standard 5 or 6 lb stainless steel plate. There are heavier plates, and lighter weight aluminum plates. Your choice should take into consideration your exposure gear and the type of cylinder you'll be using. The goal is to balance the choice of backplate and cylinder to achieve optimal trim.

Wing - for singles, most people prefer either Halcyon or Oxycheq. There are other good-performing singles wings out there. Most DIR divers who dive single cylinders prefer donut-shaped wings ... but there are some good-performance wings out there that are not donut shaped. DIR has recommendations, but not requirements, on the wing shape. The main things you want to consider for DIR are these ...
- no bungees or other devices that constrict wing inflation
- the inflator hose should not be excessively long ... 14-16 inches, typically for
a singles wing
- non pull dump on the inflator hose ... there should be a simple elbow connector
between the inflator hose and the wing

I notice you mentioned cave diving ... for that you will want to consider going with doubles, and that will require its own wing. Avoid buying a wing that markets itself as good for both singles and doubles ... some will accommodate, but with tradeoffs that make it less than optimal for either. If you are planning to dive both singles and doubles configurations, get separate wings for each configuration.

If you don't already have it, get a copy of the book titled "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving". Follow the guidelines on pages 67-72. That will satisfy all the requirements you need for taking the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all this info and help, expecially you Bob.
I was extremely fortunate to have been able to speak to a GUE instructor here in Singapore and he was able to provide enough information for me to that I now have ended my search for a bc.

Thanks for all the valuable info guys.

SangP

Hi guys, mt wife and I are signed up for the DIR-F class in Gilboa, OH in June. We currently dive DR Venture (30lb donut) wings. As noted above, these wings have a pull-activated quick dump in the inflator hose. Has anyone had experience with removing this. I assume I'll need a new part, but will need to look at the valve again. Just read the DIR-F book, what a great read! :wink:

Schwim

Schwim:
Hi guys, mt wife and I are signed up for the DIR-F class in Gilboa, OH in June. We currently dive DR Venture (30lb donut) wings. As noted above, these wings have a pull-activated quick dump in the inflator hose. Has anyone had experience with removing this. I assume I'll need a new part, but will need to look at the valve again.
This is off topic but oh well... DR makes a plane elbow that doesn't have an exhust valve. Start by unscrewing the whole hose from the wing. To remove the pull dump/exhust elbow you need to take off the hose clamp which attaches hose to the valve. I think there is some glue which holds it on but not very much and it's easy to break. You'll also have to remove the cable which runs down the hose to inflator assembly. When I removed mine I think I just removed the inflator assembly (another hose clamp) and cut the cable. It's not really that hard. In fact the hardest part is screwing the inflator elbow back onto the wing. It has very fine threads and is easy to cross thread.

You must have spoken to Gideon Liew. He's an excellent instructor. I was present during his GUE Fundamentals ITC in 2003. I'd say you found an excellent source for all your questions.

SangP:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all this info and help, expecially you Bob.
I was extremely fortunate to have been able to speak to a GUE instructor here in Singapore and he was able to provide enough information for me to that I now have ended my search for a bc.

Thanks for all the valuable info guys.

SangP

Hi Dan Gibson,

BINGO! Gideon is really a super source of information and if the gear he uses is fine, why even bother trying to get something else. Besides, the Al BP/W combo is perfect for traveling and the like.

If it's good enough for the man, who am I to argue!

Many thanks again guys.

SangP

I'm partial to a Ti BP but that's for another time and when I get the $.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom