Setting up the harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwim

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys switching over from DR transplate to Hog harness on DR SS backplate. It looks like it's pretty simple to do. What specifically kind of bungee/inner tube works best for the inflate hose and the babckup lights? I have some 1/8 and 3/16 bungee for the necklace, should I use this or go and buy a bike tire tube, and if so, what's the right size.

Also, would you recommend e-baying the transplate harnesses (we have two), or is there any reason to keep them. We also have DR 16 weight pockets. Keep or sell?

Thanks,
Chris

just use the 3/16" bungee for the inflator retainer..it's easier to replace.

I would suggest using both bungie cord and innertube.

I would take the innertube and put at least two pieces around the corrugated hose for your wings inflator. You will want to run the low pressure hose through this before connecting. It will keep the hose in place.

I would take a bungie cord and use that to keep the inflator (with the hose connected) attached to your harness. Three sixteenths is fine.

I would take two pieces of innertube to use to keep your lights snugged up to the harness, with one near the top of the light and one near the bottom.

Schwim:
Hey guys switching over from DR transplate to Hog harness on DR SS backplate. It looks like it's pretty simple to do. What specifically kind of bungee/inner tube works best for the inflate hose and the babckup lights? I have some 1/8 and 3/16 bungee for the necklace, should I use this or go and buy a bike tire tube, and if so, what's the right size.

Also, would you recommend e-baying the transplate harnesses (we have two), or is there any reason to keep them. We also have DR 16 weight pockets. Keep or sell?

Thanks,
Chris

Inner tube ... if you're buying one, I've found the 1.75" diameter works well.

Bungee ... I prefer the 1/8" for the necklace.

And to retain the inflator hose, I prefer 1/8" surgical tubing looped beneath the harness D-ring and keeper ... surgical tubing is a bit stretchier than bungee, which makes it easier to get the inflator up when dumping, yet still keeps it in place when not in use.

I also switched from TransPlate harness to standard harness ... and kept my TP harness for pool and warm water trips (purchased an AL plate for it). That way I don't have to adjust my harness when going from drysuit to 3 mm wetsuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks all for the replies, I set it up last night using all the recommendations. Man, this rig is slick and streamlined. Anyone know where I can find a good simple nylon Knife sheath?

Schwim:
Thanks all for the replies, I set it up last night using all the recommendations. Man, this rig is slick and streamlined. Anyone know where I can find a good simple nylon Knife sheath?

I'll look in my toolbox tonite. I may have an extra one or two. If so, you can have it.

You wouldn't have an extra scooter in their you'd like to give away as well, would you :wink:

detroit diver:
I'll look in my toolbox tonite. I may have an extra one or two. If so, you can have it.

Schwim:
Anyone know where I can find a good simple nylon Knife sheath?

I just use the one that comes with the Mini-Maglite. I have Mini-Maglites stashed in various rooms in my home, and one in my vehicle, but the sheaths are all on my harnesses.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I decided to forgoe putting a knife there and put a set of sea snips in it's place. Personally, I can't think of a situation where that tiny knife would be preferable to scissors, especially in cold water with thick gloves. I don't think my way is officially DIR though :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom