How is that attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I finally got to see some Halcyon gear at a show (Our World Underwater, outside of Chicago). I like the gear setup and more than likely will be changing to it (or something similar) in the future once the cashflow is settled. I picked up their catalog and was flipping through it the other night when something caught my eye.

On every primary air source in the catalog, there is a snap bolt attached either on the metal fitting going into the regulator or just below the metal fitting on the hose. How is the snap bolt attached?

Is it just "zip tied" to the regulator?

DBailey:
Yep, just a zip tie.

jbd:
Yep, just a zip tie.

Are zip ties "DIR" this year? ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Are zip ties "DIR" this year? ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I hope so, or I'll have to change my set up :wink:

I used zip ties to attatch my backup knife to my BCD. A few weeks ago a DM looks down at the floor of the dive boat and picks up a small plastic strap. He looks at me and asks " part of your gear?". Looking down I see that one of the two zip ties holding my knife is gone, "Uhh Huhh, that's mine".
I figure I'll use my knot tying skills from here on to keep my knife where I want it.
Zip ties and DIR? Hmmm??

DBailey:
I finally got to see some Halcyon gear at a show (Our World Underwater, outside of Chicago). I like the gear setup and more than likely will be changing to it (or something similar) in the future once the cashflow is settled. I picked up their catalog and was flipping through it the other night when something caught my eye.

On every primary air source in the catalog, there is a snap bolt attached either on the metal fitting going into the regulator or just below the metal fitting on the hose. How is the snap bolt attached?

To answer your question, the images in the catalog show the snap-bolt tied with cave line. There are some "how-to" tricks to it that can be found with a search for step-by-step instructions.

The idea is for the connection between the snap-bolt and the hose to strike a balance between easy to intentionally break and hard to accidentally break. It seems that current thinking says that O-rings are too easy to accidentally pop if you get hung up and that zip ties are too hard to cut if you're trying to disconnect. Cave line falls in the sweet spot - it's easy to cut with a knife or shears but very difficult to pull apart.

zip ties are waaaaay too snag-friendly for my taste. cave line for me please.

Thanks for the responses.

A quick search on "cave line" not only explained what "cave line" is (i.e mason line since I work construction), but there were some good links on how to attach the snap bolt to the item using the cave line.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom