What boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
Tropical diving with Volo Power fins and need boots. Does it matter what boots I get? Any links?

Thank you _WM

no, the boots don't make much of a difference, imho (though there are people
who swear by certain models)

i got the pair i have like two years ago, total no names from LeisurePro, they're holding
up real nice.

i would suggest 2 or 3 mm, with zippers on them so it's a lot easier to put them
on and take them off.

this is an example of what i would go for (you can shop around see if you can
find them cheaper):

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...CategoryID=983&Context=980&Filter=2=508&3=511

One diff between boots is how much or stiff of a sole they have. You may have a preference in that depending on where you'll be walking in them or what's more comfortable (or fits) in your fins. And they also make low tropical ones that don't have (or need) a zipper.

One caution - make sure the boots you get fit your foot IN the boots. When I first bought my gear I got your basic booties. With these, I wore a med. in Twinjets. Couple of weeks later I came across a nice pair of SeaSoft Stealth boots. These have a sole on them. Guess what? They will not fit in the foot pocket of my fins. Anyway, just something to keep in mind.

Good advice above. As for the type of boots/soles, it's pretty much dependant on what kind of diving you'll be doing: all boat, all shore or a mix. I would recommend that if you do any kind of shore diving, get boots that have the thicker, sneaker-like sole. Much easier when walking across rocks, sand, etc. And, as mentioned above, if you get those kind, you may have to go up a size on your fins to accomodate the larger sole. If you're just going for boat dives, you can just stick to the generic, "sock" kind of boots.

How can I tell if they will fit the f ins before I get them? I am getting the Volo Powers but have not seen any info on what type of boots are compatible? I will be doing a mix of shore and boat.

Deus:
How can I tell if they will fit the f ins before I get them? I am getting the Volo Powers but have not seen any info on what type of boots are compatible? I will be doing a mix of shore and boat.

Quick and dirty answer: Take the size fin you wear with the sock type of boot, and go up one size if you switch to the thick sneaker sole boot. For example: With the sock type of boot, I wore 'Regular' size Volo fins. When I switched to sneaker boots (Henderson Hyperstretch), I had to go up to X-large fins. Hope this helps some.

BTW, "compatibility" in regards to fins and boots is just making sure that the boots fit in the fin foot pockets. Nothing technical there.

Deus:
How can I tell if they will fit the f ins before I get them?

Exactly. Make sure you know what type of boot that you want, then get the size fin that fits.

I will be doing a mix of shore and boat.

Then I would suggest one with a sole, similar to the post at the top, or a the ScubaPro with sole (forgot the name of the model), Mares Avanti, Seasoft, or Henderson's Titanium Hyperstretch. You will find them much more comfortable to walk in, especially on rocks or stones. They will work for both types of diving, the booties won't (at least not very well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom