Lost it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
so I have been working my butt off to get into better shape for this years diving ...
I hope to get my AOW and deep water cert this year...

so I have been working out and eating all the good stuff and I have lost
23 lbs. and I hope to be -30 lbs. before my first spring dive .....

I dive AL 80 .. how much lbs. should I take off .. to start with ........

also will be using 7mm. suite.

Thanks

Scuba Gabe

If it were me, I'd start by taking off 5 lbs, and see how that goes on a shore dive. Tweak it from there, and get dialed in before spending money on a charter.

Congrats on the successful weight loss.

I assume your wetsuit will be altered to fit the sleek new you? If not, it might be a bit too loose.

As MSilvia said, experiment with the weighting before you spend $$$ on a charter.

You ready to hit NF Lake?

Green_Manelishi:
Congrats on the successful weight loss.

I assume your wetsuit will be altered to fit the sleek new you? If not, it might be a bit too loose.

As MSilvia said, experiment with the weighting before you spend $$$ on a charter.

You ready to hit NF Lake?

as soon as that ice melts im there :)
i was up there last weekend walking on the ice ..

As a rule of thumb multiply your weight loss by about 0.1 to 0.15, and drop that amount of lead to start. Fat floats, but if you have added muscle from working out, that sinks. The net change will have to be developed by trial and error, especially if you dive dry. Skinny wastes more heat, so the underwear may get thickt too. :wink:

FT

Will take some tweaking - but you should figure it out with a few shore dives.

Good for you on the weight loss, Gabe - that is fantastic. I think many people ignore fitness as an important part of diving because being in the water makes them feel "weightless"! (I am very anal about my weight, muscle tone, and cardiovascular health. In late 2004, I ramped up my workouts, and during a trip to Saba last week, I kicked complete BUTT on air consumption - amazed my husband and several divemasters.) Can't wait to hear how much your air consumption improves as you continue your shape-up plan!

Great Work!!
I know how you feel.
In september I started working out and dieting.
Im down 40lbs and feel great!!!!
I went to atlantic aquasports(pool) last week to adjust my weight belt.
My before weight was a ss backplate and 30lbs.
Adjusted weight ss backplate and 10lbs :)
And I think I could drop anouther 5lbs off the belt.
Rick L
Ps I went back into my old dui suit from my viking suit.

Great thread with tons of info that I need. Congrats to Gabe and others for gettingthe weight off. I've lost 40lbs since my last dive and am heading to Bimini on Blackbeards in two weeks. After reading others advice I will be scheduling some pool time this weekend to see what adjustments need to be made. I could use some help, as I remember it, the rule of thumb when I went through my training 15 years ago was for a diver to put on wet suit BUT NOT BC, REGS OR TANK and adjust weight to point that water level came to just under your nose. Does anyone know if this is still standard practice? I will be wearing the same wetsuit and have been wearing 14 lbs of weight, FredT's calculation of .1 to .15 times weight loss would suggest that I take off about 4-6 pounds. I know that each of us have different amount of fat vs muscle, but I was confused when Rick said he was going from 30 to 10 pounds of weight with a ss backplate. Rick, being new to scubaboard, this forum, and this issue in particular, could you tell me what a ss backplate is, and does it add any weight? Thanks again for everyones help, before seeing this thread I had not even thought about the weight issue except to try on my wetsuits to make sure they still fit. Steve from Maine .
Rick L:
Great Work!!
I know how you feel.
In september I started working out and dieting.
Im down 40lbs and feel great!!!!
I went to atlantic aquasports(pool) last week to adjust my weight belt.
My before weight was a ss backplate and 30lbs.
Adjusted weight ss backplate and 10lbs :)
And I think I could drop anouther 5lbs off the belt.
Rick L
Ps I went back into my old dui suit from my viking suit.

The practice I use is to do the weight check with full gear and about 500 psi left in the cylinder. That way, you know you'll be neutral for your safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom