Childs BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone

Reaction score
For years my son has shown interest in diving and the time is approaching that I'm ready to allow him to get his OW. Wanting to start him off right, does any one know of any BP that are smaller for a child size. He's 55 inches tall weighs 64lbs. I would rather start him in a BP/wing then a standard Bc. Thanks in advance for any help. Jason

Jawbone:
For years my son has shown interest in diving and the time is approaching that I'm ready to allow him to get his OW. Wanting to start him off right, does any one know of any BP that are smaller for a child size. He's 55 inches tall weighs 64lbs. I would rather start him in a BP/wing then a standard Bc. Thanks in advance for any help. Jason

My girlfriend is 5', 95 pounds and wears a stainless plate with zero problems. Your son is a little smaller now, but considering the fact that he will be growing, a regular backplate should be fine.

Jawbone:

I think that Dive Rite has a "kids program" that will let you buy a BC from them and then they will give you "free" upgrade to a bigger size until they are 16, 17 or 18.

check them out.

FredT makes a "short" plate...for divers between 4'10" to 5'6".

I believe Koplin also makes a short plate as well...for divers 63" and shorter.

I would email Fred at [ftagge@acadiacom.net] I'm sure that he can answer all of your questions.

Stephen Ash:
FredT makes a "short" plate...for divers between 4'10" to 5'6".

I believe Koplin also makes a short plate as well...for divers 63" and shorter.

I would email Fred at [ftagge@acadiacom.net] I'm sure that he can answer all of your questions.

My son, about 5 feet even, uses the Fred T short plate. He much prefers it over his old Scubapro Classic BC.

Check out OxyCheq I bought my daughter the small backplate (for divers under 63" tall) and it has worked very well.

mike_s:
I think that Dive Rite has a "kids program" that will let you buy a BC from them and then they will give you "free" upgrade to a bigger size until they are 16, 17 or 18.

check them out.
yep, dive rite sells a version of the transpak II for kids called the transpak ltd. it's the small transpak II with kid size harness. it fits a travel or venture wing. as the kid grows they replace the harness until it grows into the full size transpak. of course it's not a continuous piece of webbing and not a backplate but its probably as close as you're going to get for small kids.

i tried the smallest size on a slim 7 yr. old ~(42lb., 44in.) and it fit perfect.

any thoughts on double al30's? :D

The Zeagle Ranger Jr. Is a great alternative. It is a back inflate BC rather than a plate but it will grow with him until he's ready for a full BP. My daughter uses one and has had no problems.

Deepseasupply also makes a short plate http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html but you might try out your plate first and see if it fits... if so, no need to replace it later...

Aloha, Tim

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom