BP/W for an 11 year old.... did I make a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Infinity comes fully assembled. Also, comes with a bag. It sounds like they sent you an Eclipse system. Did it come with all the extras of the Infinity?

I added a link that may help to make sure you are getting everything:

What showed up was halfway between an Eclipse an and infinity. It had the MC storage pak (which should not have been included), shoulder pads (which come with Infinity), no backpad (which should have come with Infinity), no cinch (which should have come with Infinity).

It most definitely did not come assembled.

What showed up was halfway between an Eclipse an and infinity. It had the MC storage pak (which should not have been included), shoulder pads (which come with Infinity), no backpad (which should have come with Infinity), no cinch (which should have come with Infinity).

It most definitely did not come assembled.
Bummer, an Infinity System comes fully assembled and in the pack like in the video. I bet the shop didn't have a short Infinity in stock so they tried to put something together. Doesn't reflect too well on the shop that they didn't send you an Infinity System. Also, based on what you stated the plate was pulled off an Eclipse so it probably doesn't have the quick adjust crotch strap. As to the STA, if removing the weight you are going to need a bolt kit. I hope you get it all straightened out quickly so your son can enjoy!

I just thought of another thing. Since the plate didn't have the cinch system it is going to be secured by triglides and might have developed creases. If so, when going to the cinch, you will want a fresh harness because the creases will hinder the cinch system. Honestly, if it were me, I would be complaining to the shop.

That looks interesting. Do you have any pics of it with a harness?
8dac80df-7d50-4c47-8882-ebb37f4b0c0f-jpeg.610993
I never set it up. As I mentioned, I received my Freedom Plate not long after getting this and I handed my DSS rig down to my son. It's been sitting in my closet waiting for my daughter to turn 12. Only 2 years to go :) .

But I can copy the directions that the plate's maker - @Eric Sedletzky - gave me.

"The top three slots are the same as all the others just make sure the two ends come out the top slot from the front, not out the back then over the top like I see some of these guys do because the conventional doubles plates are like that.
The waist slots are actually three when you include the big cut out.
You will run the webbing from your shoulder down and into the front of the outer most slot, out the center slot (next slot in) from the back out through the front, then back around and into the big open hole, wrap it all the way around the back and out again through the outer most slot. The outside slot will have two pieces of webbing running through it both coming out through the front. This will allow the webbing to lock up on it’s own based on friction so no stainless keepers are needed and no stainless contact anywhere. That’s also why there are no holes and no wedge - to avoid stainless and dissimilar metal contact. Put the wing down, run your cam bands through the wing/plate/wing and around the tank. The roll control cushions will hold the tank away just enough to support the plate and it won’t high center. Also, being that the wing is free from bolts also means that you have infinite adjustment of the height of the plate/wing/tank and can adjust to any combo you like. When you set the cambands it will mostly self-center everything but you may need to bump around the plate side to side a little to center it up, then do a final cinch down and you’re good to dive."

I would have gone AL plate in case he starts using steel tanks.

Bummer, an Infinity System comes fully assembled and in the pack like in the video. I bet the shop didn't have a short Infinity in stock so they tried to put something together. Doesn't reflect too well on the shop that they didn't send you an Infinity System. Also, based on what you stated the plate was pulled off an Eclipse so it probably doesn't have the quick adjust crotch strap. As to the STA, if removing the weight you are going to need a bolt kit. I hope you get it all straightened out quickly so your son can enjoy!

I just thought of another thing. Since the plate didn't have the cinch system it is going to be secured by triglides and might have developed creases. If so, when going to the cinch, you will want a fresh harness because the creases will hinder the cinch system. Honestly, if it were me, I would be complaining to the shop.
The harness is unused. Everything appears to be brand new, unused, and having never been assembled. I'm concerned about needing a bolt kit... there are two bolts installed in the STA right now (it came with two bolts, a zip tie, the weight already installed along with both straps installed).

The crotch strap has two D-rings and triglides installed loosely. I also have two D-rings and 4 tri glides in an unlabeled bag.

The shop has said they will make it right and are getting the missing parts shipped to me next week. When I asked them about it coming unassembled yesterday they said some models come assembled and some do not. It's been over 13 years since I ordered my Infinity system, so I figured it must just be a cost cutting measure.

I would have gone AL plate in case he starts using steel tanks.
At this point in time, there is very little likelihood of him using steel tanks. I have used a steel tank on exactly one dive out of hundreds. All the rest were on AL80 or AL63.

The harness is unused. Everything appears to be brand new, unused, and having never been assembled. I'm concerned about needing a bolt kit... there are two bolts installed in the STA right now (it came with two bolts, a zip tie, the weight already installed along with both straps installed).

The crotch strap has two D-rings and triglides installed loosely. I also have two D-rings and 4 tri glides in an unlabeled bag.

The shop has said they will make it right and are getting the missing parts shipped to me next week. When I asked them about it coming unassembled yesterday they said some models come assembled and some do not. It's been over 13 years since I ordered my Infinity system, so I figured it must just be a cost cutting measure.
I am sure everything is new but wanted to give a heads up about setting it up with the tri-glides and then going to the cinch. The tri-glides will create creases and may make it a bit tougher to go through the cinch smoothly. The cinch system does not use tri-glides in order for the harness to be infinitely adjustable.

You will definitely need a bolt kit. Since it came with the STA weight, which has the bolts permanently installed, they wouldn't have also included separate bolts. Here is the bolt kit you need: Halcyon Bolt Kit for Single Tank Adapter

The quick adjust crotch strap also has a third item; the quick adjust buckle. It is also woven through the plate differently. Here is a video that shows the buckle and how to install:
Infinity Systems come fully assembled. The shop should make it right. You paid for an Infinity System which comes fully assembled in its own bag. All one has to do is put it on and adjust it. Unfortunately, they didn't send you an Infinity System. I find that horrible service since you are paying a premium to have everything ready to go right out of the box.

Hah...my 13yo is about 5'4" and 70lbs

Should I have gone with the AL backplate so we could dial it in with lead in the ACB, or should I stop fretting over it?
I think a SS backplate, and BW/W setup was the right call, unless he's experiencing some issues with it.

You might want to ensure he has ditchable weights, and is positive without those weights, but otherwise I think this is fine.

I think a SS backplate, and BW/W setup was the right call, unless he's experiencing some issues with it.

You might want to ensure he has ditchable weights, and is positive without those weights, but otherwise I think this is fine.
Well that IS the whole point about recommending the aluminum plate. If when everything is set up and finished, dad find the kid sinks like a rock with no lead, now what? It's back to the shop and a lot more rigging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom