Help with cramping feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the problem of their feet cramping up during the dive? First off I have size 11 1/2 feet and am using XL Twin jet fins. I was told that they have the largest foot pocket, but my feet are killing in them. I am also using XL spring straps. The only thing that helps is pulling on the fins during the dive to aleviate the pressure. Any suggestions out there. Could I cut the string inside the spring straps? Thanks all.

There's a possibility that the straps might be too tight.

First time I wore my fins in the pool I pulled the straps as tight as I did when wearing the drysuit. Result: agony all the time.

Once I loosened them a bit there was no problem

Might also be that the fins are slightly too large? I once had fins that were too big and I subconsciously was curling my toes to keep them on = really bad cramp.

Hope you get to the root of the problem

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

NauticalbutNice:
Might also be that the fins are slightly too large? I once had fins that were too big and I subconsciously was curling my toes to keep them on = really bad cramp.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I had basically the same problem, except it was my booties that were just a little too small. Curling your toes will bring on the mother of all cramps. I switched to the next bigger sized booties, problem solved.

Yeah, jets CAN be tough, while the pocket is pretty big they tend to be a little flat in profile causing extra pressure not only on the top, but also on the arch of the foot. I think that Thomas was on the right track, make sure your boots are the right size and I have found through trial and error that you need good, hard sole boots in jets to help take the pressure off the arch. Its the same as curling your toes, the result is pressure in the arch = those awful cramps! Sure can ruin a good dive cant they? Good luck
Dave.

mtsidford:
Could I cut the string inside the spring straps? Thanks all.

If by this you are saying that the cord is under tension when the fins are seated then you have a definite sizing issue with the boot, fin or strap or some such combination. The cord in the spring is there to prevent over extension while doning and doffing the strap and should have no impact on the fin when worn.

The risk in cutting the cord is that you could over stress the spring with an overzealous yank and ruin it. Some of us have used heavier springs and skipped the cord on DIY straps.

Pete

mtsidford:
Does anyone else have the problem of their feet cramping up during the dive? First off I have size 11 1/2 feet and am using XL Twin jet fins. I was told that they have the largest foot pocket, but my feet are killing in them. I am also using XL spring straps. The only thing that helps is pulling on the fins during the dive to aleviate the pressure. Any suggestions out there. Could I cut the string inside the spring straps? Thanks all.

Do you have pain during or after the dive on your Achilles tendon?

What kind of boots are you wearing?

Do your boots fit?

R..

I have size 11 feet and moved up to turtles from XL Jets and have never been happier. I used to have awful foot cramps in the arch of my feet both times I tried XL Jets. The turtles took care of the pain, but still provide great results for me. YMMV.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom