Utila Travel Arrangements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sawdust

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am headed to Utila next week and I wanted to get some feedback on travel arrangements. We are flying to Tegucigalpa on American Airlines and then have a reservation with Sosa airlines to get to Utila. A person on the phone at Sosa has told us that there will be an agent to meet us; has anyone else dealt with this? Is TGU a large airport? I assume that we will need to retreive our checked bags on our own and then meet up with Sosa. Is this correct? I have traveled extensively but I have never tried to make connecting foreign flight reservations in advance and I want to make sure I am not missing any important steps. Any other general experiences or tips would be great. Thanks so much in advance, we can't wait to get in the water.

It's been 8 years since I was there, but doubt much has changed concerning your questions. Tegucigalpa airport is a two story building, comparable to small regional airports in the USA. You'll have to claim your bags, go through customs (shouldn't take more than 30 min. tops), then go upstairs and check in with Sosa Airlines. You'll most likely catch a twin turbo prop to La Ceiba, and then another small plane to Utila (was just a dirt strip when I was there last). Keep an eye on your stuff, don't leave the terminals unless you have to and get a left window seat on the AA flight into TGU, 'cause the approach into Tegoose is a hoot. You should have a great time above and below the agua.

Keep in mind that getting to Utila is half the adventure. Do not count on Sosa being on time. In fact don't even count on Sosa following the itinerary that you booked. Not to worry, you will get there, just don't let it get you all stressed out. For example, last month I flew to Utila from San Francisco. I had a connecting flight/plane change from TACA to Sosa in San Pedro Sula. My Sosa flight was 3 hours late and then they flew from SAP to Roatan where they made all of the passengers get off. Of course those of us that were not supposed to go to Roatan had no boarding passes to get on a plane again, not to worry some lady was passing out boarding passes without even asking for ID etc. We get back on the plane and off we go to La Ceiba where the last flight out to Utila was supposed to leave at 3:25. It was now 4:30. Flight attendant says, no problem we will be on time. Don't even try to make sense out of it. Just go with the flow. We landed in la Ceiba and at 5:15 boarded the flight to Utila that was now nearly 2 hours late.
Getting home was a whole different adventure. Lol!

I was there twice in March. It really is an adventure and I did make it to my destination every time...somehow. SOSA will smile at you as they answer your questions with a "yes" but I dont think they know anything until it happens.
My second trip, we asked about booking our Sunday flight off the island and they smiled and said it would be no problem. Well, there is no Sunday flight off the island but luckily we found out before Sunday. We took the ferry to La Ceiba and was fine. Have fun while there. I love it there and will return again in July.

Hey, Sue-Ba,

You really do like it, don't you!!

I'll get those pics up sooner or later.

Regards,

sawdust:
Hello everyone,

I am headed to Utila next week and I wanted to get some feedback on travel arrangements. We are flying to Tegucigalpa on American Airlines and then have a reservation with Sosa airlines to get to Utila. A person on the phone at Sosa has told us that there will be an agent to meet us; has anyone else dealt with this? Is TGU a large airport? I assume that we will need to retreive our checked bags on our own and then meet up with Sosa. Is this correct? I have traveled extensively but I have never tried to make connecting foreign flight reservations in advance and I want to make sure I am not missing any important steps. Any other general experiences or tips would be great. Thanks so much in advance, we can't wait to get in the water.

Sawdust,

Just stay on top of your baggage. Don't let baggage handlers grab your bags and take off with them. Le them know you are in control of your bags! Sosa is fine. Our favorite. Now, have your camera ready so you can take pictures of the hew terminal at Utila.......and they do have a new paved runway. The landing at Tegu is one of the most interesting in the world....you'll love it!! Enjoy the trip and for sure you will love Utila!!

regards,

Cudabait:
Sawdust,

Just stay on top of your baggage. Don't let baggage handlers grab your bags and take off with them. Le them know you are in control of your bags! Sosa is fine. Our favorite. Now, have your camera ready so you can take pictures of the hew terminal at Utila.......and they do have a new paved runway. The landing at Tegu is one of the most interesting in the world....you'll love it!! Enjoy the trip and for sure you will love Utila!!

regards,

Thanks for all the tips, they are all helpful. It sounds like it is going to a fun and interesting flight connection. We'll be there in 60 hours!

sawdust:
Thanks for all the tips, they are all helpful. It sounds like it is going to a fun and interesting flight connection. We'll be there in 60 hours!

I understand that these are customary for anyone that provides any type of service since workers are piad very low wages. Any advice from Cudabait or others to help ensure your bags (or Taxis) don't get lost? What are customary amounts for bags, Taxis, etc. so that local merchants are not offended?

Have a great trip Sawdust. We will be following you in a few weeks.

Steve

The new airport is a HOOT! I just wonder what the old one looked like. We just got back yesterday and DO NOT count on the planes leaving at the posted times, always ask. DO NOT leave if they tell you it will be 2 hours because it may only be 15 minutes then you will have to wait for the next flight (which will be as uncertain as the 1st one)... Our original flight from Roatan to Utila was scheduled to leave at 12:30PM, we arrived 2 hours early and our "scheduled flight" left 15 minutes later, about an 1 1/2 hours early. Luckily we had a 7:30am flight out of Utila (which did leave on time) because it was sooo hot and muggy at that time I couldn't have imagined having to wait at the "airport" mid-day.. I'm such a wimp!

Tips are 10-15% of the bill.

The lempira is about 19.10 to the dollar at the current exchange rate when you are paying in dollars at merchants who usually take lempira. At merchants who usually take dollars, the exchange is sometimes 18.7 to the dollar. It can fluctuate though depending on the merchant and the current banking situation.

Can't help you with baggage handlers. I usually handle my own bags. All the suitcases are wheeled so I don't need any help with them. On the first class busses like Hedman-Alas, baggage handling is part of your fare so I don't tip there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom