Anyone else have trouble with Mares X-Vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

616fun

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok,
I loved this mask, until last week...

I was diving in Key Largo and was at about 50' when I went to pinch my nose to equalize. My fingernail caught the plastic framing around the left lense and broke the plastic!! A piece of plastic broke off that was about a 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. I spent the rest of the dive clearing about every minute because the broken frame caused a leak. The mask is only about a year old and had about 25 dives on it.

The frame that surrounds the lenses was extremely thin around the lense and by no means do I have fingernails that should cause damage (they are worn down man hands).

Ended up buying a Seac Sub X-One and am anxious to give it a dive ( I bummed a mask from a buddy to finish my diving down there).

Sorry to hear it, love mine.
Why not bring it back to where you bought it? You may get a spare mask. :wink:

What a shame...they are awesome masks. Mine is 10 months and has just over 40 dives. It has certainly been knocked about, dropped and handled plenty. (ok, with girlie hands) I'd have to say that it is still like new (and still under warranty, I think)

Sorry about it. I enjoyed my alot!!! No problems after about 5 months.....................

I've had mine for about 30 dives...No Problems. My dive buddies liked it so much they all bought knock-offs in Coz last Dec. You should try to take it back. You might be covered under the warranty

I really liked it too, one of the major reasons I was bummed it broke.

It's a bit over a year old, so no warrenty, and i got it thru Diver's Direct in Orlando, so trying to do the replacement thing is most likely futile.

I went with the Seac Sub X-One for the new mask. Very similar construction, but the frame seems much more sturdy.

http://www.seacsub.com/scheda_prodotto.asp?ID=160

We'll see how I like it, as I should be able to get it out in the next few weeks.

No problems with mine. I've had it on at least 100 dives. It's been thouroghly abused in rescue classes, tossed in dive bags, etc....

Still my favorite mask I've used.

616fun:
I really liked it too, one of the major reasons I was bummed it broke.

It's a bit over a year old, so no warrenty, and i got it thru Diver's Direct in Orlando, so trying to do the replacement thing is most likely futile.

I went with the Seac Sub X-One for the new mask. Very similar construction, but the frame seems much more sturdy.

http://www.seacsub.com/scheda_prodotto.asp?ID=160

We'll see how I like it, as I should be able to get it out in the next few weeks.
Wouldn't hurt to contact Diver's Direct in Orlando and ask. Worse that could happen is that they'll say no. :wink:

616fun:

I suggest you try returning it -all they can do is say no, and you might wind up with 2 good masks. I found Mares US to be pretty customer friendly, maybe divers direct is too.

NOT to start the eternal discussion yet again, BUT... I had an issue with my mask (not Mares) after about 1 1/2 years, and the LDS I bought it from exchanged it immediately.

I've had mine on about 100 dives as well with no problems. It's tossed all over and has been fantastic. I'd also suggest trying for the return. You'd be surprised what stores will take back to retain good customer relationships and a reputation of selling quality gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom