Massage after Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering...
I've taken to getting a nice strong semi-shiatsu style massage after diving. I know that exertion after diving is bad. I know that too much alcohol isn't good after diving. I know that hot tubs aren't the best idea soon after diving. I can guess that getting a massage in a hot tub while working out and guzzling booze would probably be right out. How about just the massage? Aren't loose muscles good, as opposed to contracted muscles a la exertion? I'm not going to do any extra nitrogen loading based on you answer, but I was just wondering. Thanks.

The friction of massage generates a lot of heat in the muscle, which will drive out nitrogen much more quickly. I would NOT get a message right after a dive, especially one which had significant loading. Being dehydrated and getting a message would REALLY compound the issue. I'd wait at least a half day after a deeper dive, plus drink lots of water.

I manage a day spa and our clientele are business travelers. They usually come right off an airplane to get massages. Just like diving, flying is dehydrating, because your in an airplane breathing compressed dry air. We recommend plenty of water and a massage to improve circulation. They agree the nitrogen build up would get worked out more efficiently if you work the muscles during a massage because it stimulates the blood flow So YES.....my team says.....get the massage :) and dont forget to drink the water because two things are happening.....(1) you'll be releasing toxins in your muscles as well as trying trying to (2) release nitrogen.

"you'll be releasing toxins in your muscles as well as trying trying to (2) release nitrogen."

Totally bogus. Drink water - yes. But not because of the "toxin" release. This toxin release becuase of massage is just a GIANT load of new age balderdash.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=602783

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Isn't the reason you don't exercise after diving because it increasese blood flow? Massage does just that. Does it increase blood flow enough to make a significant difference? Beats me, but I wouldn't do it.

Massage has little influence on muscle blood flow. Too little to worry about DCS. Go ahead and get the massage. It'll make you feel better AND as a bonus, you'll lose significant weight in your wallet.

Hello RikRaeder :

Others have asked me about massage and the loss of nitrogen following a dive. Tissue blood flow does have a “mechanical component” to it, but perfusion is primarily governed by local concentrations of carbon dioxide and products of metabolism from the active contraction of muscles. Massage does not generate any of the components that result in the opening of the precapillary sphincters that lead to the capillaries.

While I doubt that there is any negative effects to massage therapy, one would gain more as far as blood flow is concerned by gently moving the arms and legs while seated. This starts the local metabolic control of blood flow.

Some references concerning the ineffectiveness of massage on enhancing muscle blood flow appear below.

Dr Deco :doctor:

References

Tiidus, P. M. A Review of Human Massage Therapy: Assessing Effectiveness Primarily from Empirical Data in the Human Species
2000 / Vol. 46 / AAEP PROCEEDINGS

Hemmings B, Smith M, Graydon J, et al. Effects of massage on physiological restoration, perceived recovery, and repeated sports performance. Br J Sports Med 2000;34: 109–115.

Shoemaker JK, Tiidus PM, Mader R. Failure of manual massage to alter limb blood flow: measures by Doppler ultrasound. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1997;29:610–614.

Tiidus PM, Shoemaker JK. Effleurage massage, muscle blood flow and long-term post-exercise strength recovery. Int J Sports Med 1995;16:478–483.

Duh.....Thanks Doc. Doc use big words. Raeder no understand but get idea. For safe, Raeder contact DAN. DAN say:
"There is no data but most dive physiologists and physicians do [sic] expect any problems with a massage following diving."

The consensus seems to be that a massage will not hurt you. I'd be careful of "happy endings", though. That will increase blood flow!

I said shiatsu style, not ****atsu, but thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom