Kadavu, Fiji: Need Resort Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michael71

Reaction score
I've been to Fiji once before (Nov 06, during the Coup). Stayed at Garden Island Resort on Taveuni (ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT) and @ the Pearl in Pacific Harbor, Viti Levu (Aquatrek is a great dive outfit...but found The Pearl a little to high class / snooty for me) :)

My fiance and I are planning a return, and are hoping to include 1 week on Kadavu. For the record, we're both low maintenance and don't need to be pampered.

With that said, I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews about where to stay/dive on Kadavu.

I'm leaning towards Matava (Matava - Home). Close to the Astrolabe Reef, and lots of good reviews, but some mixed as well. I've heard it's a step above camping (which can be okay) but am looking for first hand accounts.

I find Dive Kadavu (www.divekadavu) in all my searches, but really get a lot of mixed reviews on this one. Some say that because of location you may not make it to Astrolabe, and it's more about "creature comforts". I see mixed reviews from "Gem" to "Bad Camp site".

I've found a few things on Waisalima, but no real reviews (except for one man from England in the middle of a credit card dispute w/them)

If anyone can give me any insight, or how it compares to Aquatrek / Garden Island that'd be awesome! Thx

-Michael

I am also looking at kadavu. I found the tripadvisor posts by waisalima man to be helpful. He lives on the island and has alot of current information. Go to tripadvisor and look at his posts as he is very thorough in his assessments. I am leaning toward dive kadavu because their boats look better, they have fans and matava doesn't, and I hear the matava side of the island can get pretty windy and wash out the days dives. On the other hand, matava is closer to the manta dive and the astrolab is reportedly better than the local dive kadavu reefs. Also, dive kadavu has a pretty hefty surcharge to dive king kong or the manta dive . I think it's a close call but either beats a week at work.

check out the trip reports here: SCUBAREWS LLC - Home Page
not mine, but I found these when me and hubby were looking into going to Fiji last year. We ended up going to Palau instead, but Fiji is still high on our "todo" list. These reports give lots of good information I think.

robin:D

Thanks both. Still welcome more posts if anyone out there's been to Kadavu.

Robint: yes, you really should keep Fiji on the top of your to-do list. Get to one of the outer islands (Garden Island Resort on Taveuni is right on the Rainbow Reef). Keep in mind that they're remote islands....expect people to run on "Fiji Time" (slow and relaxed), expect luggage to arrive on a flight an hour after you did, and while rooms are clean and neat, don't expect the Ritz Carlton :)

We did a week at Mantana Beach Resortwhich is about a ten minute boat ride from Kadavu airport in March this year. I am not sure where this is in relation to Matava. The resort is pretty basic with only a generator from 9pm which runs the ceiling fans and the light in the bathroom during the night. The food was great and the diving was pretty spectacular. We had a lot of rain and wind the week we were there and actually got blown out one morning. It is run by an old Australian couple who are very much down to earth. The divemasters were pretty much well accomplished. I would recommend it.

Thanks both.

Underwater: Awesome reviews!

Far X: In answer to your question-Mantana that you stayed at is also called Dive Kadavu. The Matava resort is more on the South Eastern side (longer boat ride from airport / closer to Astrolobe). I'm hearing its a little more rustic (which suits me good) and because its on the open ocean side, has a stonger chance of being blown out. We're leaning towards Matava, but still investigating so I really do appreciate the input. Thx

Still up for more first hand accounts / stories / advice for Kadavu if anyone would care to share :D

You won't regret Matave Michael. The wife and I were there Sept 2007. We are going back to Fiji this September, but I can only get 1 week off so we won't go back to Kadavu unfortunately.

Getting to Matava from the airport is an adventure in itself. About a 40 min speedboat ride up the coast on the inside of the reef, often in only inches of water. One of the staff was learning how to navigate while we were there. That was fun! I hope he's learnt by now.
Matava being an eco resort is not 3, 4 or 5 star, but is clean and the food is excellent. No Aircon, but generally you shouldn't need it on Kadavu. Certainly not in September. It's nice not to have access to TV or Radio.

Last year they didn't have 240v in the Bures, with only 12v lights till around 2300 nightly, but the Hurricane lanterns were fun. Charging of camera batteries was a little cumbersome in that they were charged in the office when the 4 stroke generator was running. Things may be different 12 months later?

We hit the beginning of an 8 day wind that was a little annoying, but diving the inside of the Astrolabe Reef (4th longest in the world) was fine, with occasional diving outside, then more outside reef diving when the wind (finally) stopped.
The diving was the most pristine we have dived. No plastic/paper pollution at any of the sites (from memory).
The water temperature in September was a tad cool for me in a 3mm suite at around 25C. So I would suggest an under garment for your upper body or maybe a 5mm suit. Earlier and later in the year the water temp is higher, so you would be fine in a 3mm.

The resort didn't have any Tonic water for our Gin. So if you are taking a bottle of Gin, request they get some Tonic in for you. We ended up drinking Gin & Cokes for 10 days

Our guide (Jo) was a little reluctant to do any night dives. Probably felt the cold more than us? We should have insisted a little stronger. We drank Fiji Bitter instead. :D

I don't think Matava has Nitrox? Now that we are Nitrox certified we prefer places that do Nitrox if possible.

The 10% discount from membership at underwater.com.au helped with the cost a little. Matava also offer discounts for those that go back. So we will.

Paul-

That's AWESOME! My fiance & I are both low maintenance so I'm not worried about 3-5 star...just that its clean and a good outfit! Sounds like a lot of fun (I've been reading the reviews from Underwater and it sounds great) Thanks much for the advice about the water temp as well. We're from Souther California where the high temp is about 18-19 C, so I think we'll be okay w/3mm :)

Where are you going in Sept? If you haven't already been, I highly recommend Garden Island Resort on Taveuni. They offer great 1 week all inclusive packages. Rooms are clean, food is great, staff is awesome. They do offer Nitrox as well. That will be the first stop on our trip (getting married there) before heading off to Kadavu.

If you're staying on Viti Levu, Aquatrek (company that ran Garden Island until recently) has a dive outfit in Pacific Harbor. Top notch staff & excellent shark dive!

If you have more specific questions about either please let me know...I'd be happy to help.

-Michael

Paul-

Where are you going in Sept? If you haven't already been, I highly recommend Garden Island Resort on Taveuni. They offer great 1 week all inclusive packages. Rooms are clean, food is great, staff is awesome. They do offer Nitrox as well. That will be the first stop on our trip (getting married there) before heading off to Kadavu.

If you're staying on Viti Levu, Aquatrek (company that ran Garden Island until recently) has a dive outfit in Pacific Harbor. Top notch staff & excellent shark dive!

If you have more specific questions about either please let me know...I'd be happy to help.

-Michael

Hi Michael,
We're thinking Beqa Lagoon area. As my leave is limited to a week, we can't afford the extra time required travelling off the main island. Need to get somewhere quick. Last year we did a couple of dives near Nadi. Having just come from Kadavu, these two dives were almost a waste of time. Many divers, damaged coral (what was left of it), boat noise above us from dive boats and Skiers, plastic/paper pollution and the guide towing a safety marker buoy, made if feel like we were diving in a large swimming pool. The fish life was plentiful though.

We hired a car and drove down to Pacific Harbour area, so am interested in what the diving is like around there? We are after clean budget to moderate accommodation around or on Beqa. The shark diving sounds interesting, although I have reservations about the whole concept of feeding for entertainment, and all the various implications, Bla, Bla, Bla.

BTW, we got married at First Landing Resort north of Nadi in 2003. Pre diving unfortunately.

Cheers,

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom