Volunteer Hostie on Ocean Quest L.A.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone volunteered on this ship as a hostie? I am looking for some firsthand feedback about the experience. (the work, the crew, the diving, etc.)

I will be in Oz and don't think I can afford to pay for a trip to the outer reefs, so I was considering volunteering as an alternative.

Thanks

Has anyone volunteered on this ship as a hostie? I am looking for some firsthand feedback about the experience. (the work, the crew, the diving, etc.)
I've been a passenger and thought it was really good, friendly/helpful staff etc.. don't think this is much help to you though.

Only problem was they didn't have very good beer in the bar.

Thanks. Good to know you enjoyed the trip as a paying passenger. What kind of beer did they have? :D

I just came back from another 4 day liveaboard on the OceanQuest... the diving was excellent. Sadly the beer has not improved :) VB, XXXX Gold (mid-strength) and Carlton mid-strength are all that's available.

The staff are great. I wonder what a volunteer gets though - how much diving? I didn't see any of the hostie staff diving while I was aboard.

I just came back from another 4 day liveaboard on the OceanQuest... the diving was excellent. Sadly the beer has not improved :) VB, XXXX Gold (mid-strength) and Carlton mid-strength are all that's available.

The staff are great. I wonder what a volunteer gets though - how much diving? I didn't see any of the hostie staff diving while I was aboard.
Hey there! I've been thinking about trying them out.

Do they provide a dive guide? I know it's a stupid question, but I've done some diving in the past where the company did not, and it sucked. (not in OZ, but still...)

- King

I may be out with them in a week, I'm still trying to see if I can get my flight into Cairns changed to be early enough to catch the 5 day Taka trip, if not I'll probably be going out with the OceanQuest.

I take it you didn't care for the beer, but how's the water conditions? Vis, temp?

Hey there! I've been thinking about trying them out.

Do they provide a dive guide? I know it's a stupid question, but I've done some diving in the past where the company did not, and it sucked. (not in OZ, but still...)

- King

Hi King,

Guides are not included in the price.. they will arrange buddy groups before each dive and give you a briefing on the layout of the site, particular things to see etc.

You can hire a guide for $15 per person per dive if you want. A friend did hire one for a few dives and I don't think it made a substantial difference. A good guide might be able to find nudibranches and smaller stuff that a less trained eye might not.

My underwater navigation is terrible so I made a lot of surface swims back to the boat but I never missed anything significant without a guide.

how's the water conditions? Vis, temp?

Great! Vis was 20m on most dives if not more (I can't estimate it very well), water 23 to 25 degrees. The rental wetsuits they provide are mostly 5mm long-sleaved arms, short-sleaved legs which I found just fine even on five dives a day.

Saw tons of fish, plenty of sharks, a few turtles etc. Coral was better at some sites than others - they move around between a few sites spread over a couple of reefs. Typically 2-3 dives at a site before they move again.

Their web site is a bit misleading; they say 4 dives per day but it's actually 5 including the night dive. The schedule is;
6:30am first dive
7:30am breakfast
9:00am second dive
11:00am third dive
12:30pm lunch
3:30pm fourth dive
6:00pm dinner
7:00pm night dive
8:00pm desert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom