SS Yongala Day Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Now that I'm actually living in Townsville for a while, I figured it was about time I got down to dive Yongala again (the last time was about 18 years ago when Mike Ball was still in Townsville). But damn it's expensive. I could either drive down to Alva (about 2 hours each way from my place) and pay $230 for a 2 tank dive, or get the boat straight down from Townsville and do a 2 tank boat dive for $245. And that doesn't include gear hire - just tanks and weights (glad I’ve got my own gear). So do I pay the extra $15 and avoid the drive? Yep, because I hate school holiday traffic. So, I booked a 2 tank boat dive with Adrenalin Dive in Townsville. It meant an early 6.30am departure from the marina, but that's part of diving life. The weather report looked to be ok, so I just took one seasickness tablet before I got on the boat. Had more stashed in my bag for the trip home.

Aside from the general "I just want to go for a dive" feeling, the primary purpose of this trip was to test out some new gear I bought. I just recently purchased a new focus/video light...And it needed to be tested before I go to Chuuk - I wanted to make sure I was comfortable using it before then.

I'd originally wanted to dive on nitrox, however when I booked the trip over the phone, Adrenalin basically told me not to bother. They agreed that nitrox would be ideal, however they pointed out that I would be the only person booked on the trip who was certified and booked to dive on it (at least at the point in time I was booking), so whoever I was buddied up with would only be on air. What's the point of paying $50 extra for 2 tanks of nitrox (wtf?!?! on the pricing), if I was going to be forced to stick to an air profile because of my buddy? None. So I decided to forego the nitrox and just dive on air. Given that they seemed to enforce a 45 minute maximum dive time on the wreck anyway (another wtf?!?! moment - I don't recall that being a policy 18 years ago), I think I was more peeved about that than not being able to dive nitrox, at least initially. But that's their rules, and I agreed to them, such as it is. But when I rang up the day before the trip to confirm that they were going (weather, passenger numbers), I asked again about the nitrox - just in case anyone else had booked on to dive it in the interim as well. And what was the response? "All of our nitrox tanks are out on the liveaboard, we have no nitrox tanks available for the day trip boat". If you can't offer nitrox on the day trip boat, then don't advertise that you can. And don't lie to me about it. I'm exactly the kind of person who's going to complain about being stuffed around. Rather than making up convoluted excuses, just say that you can't offer nitrox on the day trips and take it off your website that you can. I would simply accept that at face value. That being said, I can't believe that a dive operator running trips to the Yongala doesn't have enough nitrox tanks to support both their liveaboard and the day trip boat. That wreck is the perfect example of where you should be diving nitrox rather than air.

Anyway, eventually boarded and went to set up my gear before leaving the marina in Townsville, hook my regs up to the tank, and the tank is missing an o-ring entirely. They had spares on board, so it was an easy fix. Then I discover the tank only has 150 bar in it. Do they not check the tanks before they leave the shop? Thankfully that had spare tanks on board. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel that these things shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

The trip from Townsville to Magnetic Island (to pick up the remainder of the divers) was a bit rough, but Magnetic Island to Yongala was pretty flat. We got out there around 10.30am and went for a dive. My dive buddy for the day was great :D We did our 45 minutes before coming up.

The new focus light was ok, but due to the visibility on the wreck (7-10 meters at best), none of the photos are very good. Such is life.

Lunch was sandwiches (make your own: cold deli meats, salad, cheese, pb, vegemite). And there was always cold water and lemon cordial on board, as well as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

We had a 1 hour surface interval over lunch, which seemed reasonable. However in hindsight, it’s really not long enough. Our second dive was only 35 minutes due to running out of no-deco time. I wonder if they could schedule the trip differently somehow to give us a longer surface interval so that we don’t have such a short second dive? Also this is why I wanted to dive nitrox!

I also wonder if this played a part in an incident that occurred after our second dive. One of the guys on board who was doing his advanced open water course started developing a blotchy rash about 20 minutes after his second dive. They put him on O2 immediately as a precaution, although the instructor and DM’s on board didn’t seem to think it was DCI related since he was diving the same profile as the instructor. They had him breathing the O2 until he got off the boat and told his partner to ring the instructor if it got any worse (the rash was more or less cleared up by that point). It was well handled, and I hope it was nothing serious.

We took off again just after 2pm to head back to Magnetic Island and Townsville, and got back to Townsville around 5:15pm. Not a bad day, and maybe it was just my frustration at the visibility and the short dive times, but I really don’t get what the fuss is about the Yongala. Despite a couple of hiccups, Adrenalin Dive are a good enough dive op, and I’d recommend them if driving yourself down to Alva isn't a practical option – it’s hardly their fault the visibility wasn’t good.

Photos on my blog here...

Well, first thing re the guy with the rash, he was bent I bet. I get very frustrated with people who compare 2 divers saying they both had the same safe profile thus it cannot be decompression illness. Whilst they may both share the same profile, they certainly do NOT share the same body or physical conditions. My wife and I dive similar profiles and she got bent and I didn't, why, because she has a small PFO. I will bet anything that the guy had a skin bend. Oxygen will generally make the signs of a skin bend go away in possibly 20-30 minutes. Doesn't mean that because its gone, that the issue was not the bends. In fact, because after the application of oxygen, the rash disappeared, its a fair bet it was the bends. Instructors and dive masters should know this but it seems most times they put it down to something else thus making everyone feel good. If you know the guy, suggest he goes and gets tested for a PFO, or if it happens again get a dive doctor to check him out.

Seems that's a trend now, to limit dives to 30-45 minutes in the Queensland area, rather than ask people what their intent is. When diving in Bass Straight we are simply asked our run time, and not dictated to. If I were a suspicious guy (and I am), I would suggest that the whole dive trip was organised on the least mount of time in the water to suit the LDS/boat, rather than providing quality trip for the customers. You were throwing a spanner in the works with the desire to use Nx and thus a longer dive time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom