Freeport, Bahamas Trip Report (Oct 13 thru 27)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm a little late getting this up, but things have been hectic since I got home and I'm just having time to sit down and do it now. Well, I've been back for almost two weeks now and I still keep asking myself "Why in the heck did I leave there?" Of course I know the answers (family/college/bills), but there are times that they haven't seemed to be enough to keep me from thinking about it. :D

I'm not much to give a blow by blow account of each day. Those are my memories and while I shall share glimpses, one must truly experience it for themselves if they are to know those very same feelings.

What a great two weeks! For the third year in a row, we stayed at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort (Ocean Reef Resort Grand Bahamas Island Hotel Bahamas Getaway Caribbean Getaway Bahamas Vacation Hotel) with our good friends Rick (Tavi) and his wife Deb. This year was special, however, as I finally was talked into staying for the full two weeks, instead of the usual, all too short 7 days. As expected, the accommodations at ORYC were great, and the addition of "BOB" (Brookstone: OSIM® iDesire™ Massage Chair FREE SHIPPING) made it great.

We went a full week earlier than in previous years, and I was somewhat nervous how the conditions were going to be, still being in the hurricane season and all. My fears were unfounded however, as we had two weeks of absolutely wonderful diving with Grand Bahama Scuba (Grand Bahama Scuba). I cannot say enough great things about Fred and Melinda. Fred offer a wealth of aquatic information as well as local customs/lore that few can match, and Melinda takes great pride in using the underwater realm as a canvas to produce some very riveting aquatic (and some of us who aren't so aquatic) life photographs.

Now that I've become "familiar" (I use the term loosely, there is always something more to learn) with most of the dive sites, I'm able to explore them a little more intricately, as I'm no longer the wide-eyed Freeport "n00b", just happy to be there. I'm a wreck junkie, so of course I was very happy to be able to dive sites like "Theo's" and "Badger", but I also had a blast doing the reef dives such as "Pygmy Caves", "Tunnels" and "Gail's Grotto". And who of course can forget the famous Shark dives and the relaxing beauty of "Silver Reef".

I still cannot say enough positive things about Grand Bahama Scuba. Well, I guess the fact that I've been back 3 years straight (planning a 4th too - right Rick & Deb? :wink:) should speak volumes. I would give anything to be able to spend an extended time down there learning from Fred. This man has so much knowledge to be pulled from, and I would feel privileged if I could draw from that knowledge.

If anyone is considering a trip to Grand Bahama, you owe it to yourself to go with Grand Bahama Scuba. I guarantee you'll never use another dive op on that island.

It was a great trip!!

Derek should be congratulated also, He completed his Divemaster Certification while he was there.

You should have seen him trying to rescue me, and get me on the boat in 3 to 4' seas!! :D

Thinking to self: Damn, after such a nice write up, what am I going to say in my trip report!! It's even more past due than Dereks!! :wink:

Sound like it was fun. How far is that resort from the market etc at Lucaya?

Sound like it was fun. How far is that resort from the market etc at Lucaya?

Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort is about 2 miles from Port Lucaya. Some times we'd walk, Or.....the Public bus will pick you up right in front of the resort and take you there for a dollar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom