Nassau Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, just got back from a quick trip to the Bahamas and I thought that I would post my experiences.... Major props to Cheryl at Deep Blue Adventures for setting this up at the LAST minute! Because of unusual circumstances and cancellation of another trip, I had to set this all up on Friday so that I could leave on Saturday for a few days of diving.

I dove with Stuart Cove's (as most people probably do on this island!), and found them to be very good. They are a big operation, so you don't really get the personal feel that you might get if you spent a few days with one boat and crew. This wasn't such a big deal for me, but some people who want more individualized attention might not like this as much. They have 10 dive boats an a large group of captains, instructors, divemasters and photographers. On the other hand, they obviously move a LOT of divers through the system, and they are very efficient about doing it. There is good attention to diving safety, with a sign in sheet after each dive. The boats are well equipped with fresh water (for showering and drinking), oxygen, etc...

The photographers were great.... In addition to providing me with some terrific shots and video of myself diving, they gave me a lot of general photography advice - very much appreciated.

The shark dive is not to be missed... SO cool, and you definitely get a feel for the beauty and power of these animals... They really crowd around you when the shark feeder opens the box of fish heads - imagine going into a field with 50 golden retrievers and opening up a suitcase full of hamburger!

The hotel (Cable Beach Sheraton) was a typical big resort, very crowded and pricey, but nice if you like that sort of thing. It was a last minute booking, so I didn't have too much time to figure out where the best place to stay would be, but my non-diving girlfriend had a great time there. It is pretty far from the "diving" end of the island (about a 45 minute ride), but Stuart Cove sent a bus to shuttle us back and forth every day...

For food, I have to recommend the "fish fry" district, with a bunch of great local restaurants with delicious conch (of course) and everything else that Bahamian cooking is known for. I recommend Twin Brothers and Seafood Haven. For something more upscale (away from the fish fry), the Poop Deck was very tasty...

Here is a little Web site I made for the video from the shark feeding, and my photos from that dive:

Mike's Shark Dive

Here are the rest of my photos:

Dive photos from Mike's trip to the Bahamas

Feel free to ask if you have specific questions...

wonderful photos there, mike! The lionfish are very nice as are all the sharks. Thanks for posting.
We are headed for Bahamas in a couple of weeks - our 2nd time on the Nekton liveaboard. We are soooo excited. :D

robin:D

Thanks! Glad you like them...

The lionfish are everywhere, and an invasive species as well. They tend to hang out under wrecks...

I definitely want to do a liveabord someday... will have to look into that one...

Take care!

Thanks! Glad you like them...

The lionfish are everywhere, and an invasive species as well. They tend to hang out under wrecks...

I definitely want to do a liveabord someday... will have to look into that one...

Take care!

our last trip to the Bahamas people had mentioned that lionfish were showing up around Grand Bahama and Nassau, but none seen on our trip as we were far south at Cay Sal Bank. But I am hearing reports now that they have made their way all the way over to Turks & Caicos now. I expect we will see some. Sad! :shakehead: I really love them (we saw lots of them in Palau) but I know they have no natural predator in Caribbean so they are breeding like rabbits and eating all the juvie fish. In most areas, divers are being encouraged to spear them. :(

You should check out a liveaboard for sure. We have been on several and now it is our preferred way to go. We like doing our own thing without a DM controlling us and also being able to do 4-5 dives per days rocks. I will post a trip report when we get back with all the details.

You should check out a liveaboard for sure. We have been on several and now it is our preferred way to go. We like doing our own thing without a DM controlling us and also being able to do 4-5 dives per days rocks. I will post a trip report when we get back with all the details.

Looking forward to reading it..! Our local dive shop has a trip scheduled for next February, will think about it...

But I am hearing reports now that they have made their way all the way over to Turks & Caicos now.

Yep, saw two there myself last October.

Nice pics Mike!!

Thanks for sharing!!

They bring back memories..............Wish I was in the Bahamas now :D instead of here in the cold!! :shakehead:

Just came back from "Beneath the Sea" in Secaucus this morning... Every travel shop and resort had a booth there.. makes me VERY much want to go back next week! Oh, well, will have to do some work and earn some money before that can happen.

Although I AM going to a meeting in Orlando this month, and plan on diving here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom