Stuart Cove's Shark Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A quick question for those who have done the Shark Adventure at Stuart's Cove. Is the experience worth the money? Recently spoke to another member and got the feeling it might be a little overhyped. I plan on doing about 5 days of diving with them, and shark interactions are quite frequent on these dives. Would I be better served just doing two additional dives instead?

I have dove the Living Seas at Epcot several times and have had shark interactions there. Obviously not the feeding. So I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze and would appreciate others' opinions on it. Now if there was a hammerhead that would visit the Shark Adventure, it might interest me more :) I am going in mid-November; as I understand it, it might be too early for them.

Appreciate the feedback.

Jason

Shark feeding should be banned. It changes the natural behavior of sharks and puts added risk to the divers that need not be there. Epcot is NOTHING like a shark feeding dive.
On shark dives you are planted on your knees on the bottom, told to keep your hands from waving around, and basically sit there and watch sharks exhibit behavior on basically on command.
It turns them into tourist attractions rather than the beautiful apex predators that they are.
I had a number of debates with the head of one agency that promoted that operation.
And DEMA tried to get divers to support not banning the practices in the US.
No surprise since greed supports greed.

Shark feeding should be banned. It changes the natural behavior of sharks and puts added risk to the divers that need not be there. Epcot is NOTHING like a shark feeding dive.
On shark dives you are planted on your knees on the bottom, told to keep your hands from waving around, and basically sit there and watch sharks exhibit behavior on basically on command.
It turns them into tourist attractions rather than the beautiful apex predators that they are.
I had a number of debates with the head of one agency that promoted that operation.
And DEMA tried to get divers to support not banning the practices in the US.
No surprise since greed supports greed.
I was also torn about this as well.

Sitting at the bottom and not moving doesn't really sound like fun. However, I am still interested in hearing other opinions on the experience. I can save coins and just do an additional 2 dives.

The Epcot experience was more related to close shark encounters. They frequently would brush up against me when I was diving.

Did the Aqua Cat Bahamas this last November. First time for me.
Yes it was a shark feed. First dive was without the feeding. Sharks we’re circling the boat as we descended for our regular dive. And was quite the show for the shark feed. Here is one minute version of the 10+ minute video that I shot.

I would do it again.

If you've never done a shark dive in the open water, it's an awesome experience! I've done it at Stuart Cove's a few times. You might have even paid a comparable price at Epcot, and if it's something on your list to do, go for it!

So did you do the Shark Experience, Jason? I thought even though we had communicated on this by DM before you went, I thought all of us might enjoy your evaluation of the trip. I hope it was as good as we discussed it to potentially be.
🐸

So did you do the Shark Experience, Jason? I thought even though we had communicated on this by DM before you went, I thought all of us might enjoy your evaluation of the trip. I hope it was as good as we discussed it to potentially be.
🐸
We actually leave on Sunday for the Bahamas and in the evening on Monday - I will share my experience :)

👍👍 Have a great trip. I kinda envy you, my friend; it should be a memorable experience.
Best regards,
Green 🐸 Frog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom