Nassau, first timer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameri180304

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got certified 6mo back, going to nassau in sept. I went to freeport last summer but only snorkeled. Any recommendations for companies who offer boat dives? Any place to shore dive?

Bahama Divers is just across from Paradise Island.

Stuart Cove's is the major diveop in the area. They have a free shuttle to their south side location.

Paradise Dive just closed so afaik those are now your only two options.

I sometimes read comments about shore dives there but IDK where you'd get tanks.

You could try getting tanks from Stuart's.
"I'm Told" Prices vary GREATLY!
They dont like it, but they will do it...........I really DONT think you'd be able to book'em etc

Last people i know who hired tanks from Bahama Divers had to put $200 cash deposit against each of the two tanks they hired. This was the #3 US ambassador and his very beautiful wife. They were VERY well known and regulars (i believe this was why they were even able to). I'd consider THAT preculsive. But then...I have tanks....

Sorry...doubt this helps.

I just dropped them an email. I'm pretty excited. Just bought a D7000 and working on getting the housing. Very new to all this but again excited!!!! Of course a friend and I were gonna book a few boat dives, but wanted to know if we can shore dive this place stuarts cove? If not, recommendations on where you could shore dive in nassau? I dont think we wanna do 100% boat...

It's Stuart Cove's cos his name's Mr Stuart Cove, for information.
You can actually swim out to a few of their sites from the shore at Clifton heritage park. Also the wall. Have a squizz on google earth and you'll see just south of Lyford Cay bay how close the wall comes to the shore line. Park in the car park, kit up and waddle down the stone track (For a $5 consideration or a beer security might drop you down there in their golf cart if the boss isn't around), to the old boat ramp. It's about 200 yds from your car to the sea along this route and down hill on the way there. It's a bit of a slog on the way back but "do-able".
You can take a compass bearing on any one of the buoys that are dive site moorings from the shore or simply surface swim out to one.
You might consider taking an SMB for the boat traffic in the area (not that there's much) and other than that your good to go.
There's normally very good viz in this area and rarely appreciable current. The biggest danger is prolly the wall itself and that only for the depth.
Recently i've seen bottle nosed dolphin, a couple of hammerheads and a large blue marlin. (over the last couple of months). There's no guarantee, but with the tongue of the ocean so close anything could swim by.
I'd be interested in tagging along if work permits. It might be an idea to have some local knowledge on the first time out. Plus, i still have those tanks. :=)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom