Please help, where to go in the Bahamas for best diving!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkir707

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

Can someone please help me decide which island and where to go? Im doing research atm and just seem to be going round in circles. We will be traveling to the Bahamas late July early August. Here are a few things we are looking for:

Hotel
- A nice hotel, maybe boutique rather than a big resort
- Quiet hotel
- Luxurious
- Under $500 a night
- A nice beach, perhaps snorkelling from the beach

Diving
- Sole reason for the trip is diving
- Like wrecks
- Big fish (hammerheads, manta rays, turtles, whales etc)
- Reefs
- Caves (but not top priority)

Can someone recommend an island where you are more likely to encounter these animals during this time.

Island
- Preferably a smaller island
- Not as populated/ touristy
- Nice beaches and diving

All suggestions welcome, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
Natalie

Sounds like Riding Rock Inn Bahamas dive resort for scuba diving walls, big game fishing San Salvador island on San Salvador Island may be close to what you're looking for. It has been several years (about 6 yrs) since I have been there, so memory isn't what it used to be :D. The diving is fantastic,... the reefs were in excellent condition with many sharks, rays & such . Sorry not much in the way of wrecks, that I can remember. It is kind of an out- of- the- way place, on a small island so not much party or night life outside of the resort. May want to check it out. The biggest issue may be getting there, as it only has a small, limited airport.

I dove with Blackbeard's and Stuart Cove last year. Sharks were plentiful at least at the feeding sites. I had a great experience with both operations. However, I was disappointed in the average size of species I'd encountered diving elsewhere in the Caribbean. They all seemed noticeably smaller on average and I don't think the numbers were as high either.

Are you firm on a boutique hotel? Why not a liveaboard like Aqua Cat to get to more distant sites where human impact may be less?

Riding Rock suggested by tstormdiver is a great destination. Under your "Diving" criteria, UNEXSO, Grand Bahama has most if not all of that, with hotels to suit any taste. Stuart Cove's in Nassau has that too. A really cool boutique hotel there is Compass Point. I believe there is a Bob Marley resort there, as well. drbill's suggestion is a great one too, can't go wrong with Blackbeards and a live a board. You can easily find hotels under $5o0 anywhere you go, and still have something nice. Luxurious ? Meh', depends what you call luxurious. This is always a sticking point with dive travel and 2 people or groups. If the trip is about the diving, then "it's about the diving and nothing else". My criteria for dive lodging (and I travel solo most of the time), is a bed, tv, WiFi, a safe, A/C, a toilet and a shower. Marble, travertine and a mint on my pillow are way down the list. And I always try to make it a local, botiquey type of hotel. It just kills me when folks travel to amazing destinations and stay at . . . the Hilton. Just sayin'. Anyways, didn;t mean to take this a whole 'nother direction. Riding Rock is great, Nassau is good (but populated), Grand Bahama is nice; UNEXSO, Grand Lucayan Hotel or Pelican Bay. I would go to the bookstore and get a Bahamas Travel guide; Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc.

I dove Stuarts Cove and stayed at the Orange Hill. OH is not luxurious, maybe 2star, but it is comfortable, clean and quiet, and the food was really good, drinks plentiful (if you're not a drink snob) - home cooking, plenty to eat and good prices. After a 4 dive day, just kicking back with a beer and some sunshine was all we needed (wifi is good too!).

Blackbeards is on my to do list - go places, see different things and dive you a$$ off. Why else go on a dive vacation?

I dove Stuarts Cove and stayed at the Orange Hill. OH is not luxurious, maybe 2star, but it is comfortable, clean and quiet, and the food was really good, drinks plentiful (if you're not a drink snob) - home cooking, plenty to eat and good prices. After a 4 dive day, just kicking back with a beer and some sunshine was all we needed (wifi is good too!).

Blackbeards is on my to do list - go places, see different things and dive you a$$ off. Why else go on a dive vacation?

Orange Hill is a great example. Great place, and it's actually the closest place to Stuart Cove's. If you desire a fancy meal, or more unique lodging, Compass Point is right down the street. I have some great memories at both of these places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom