A dive that almost wasn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I had a diving date with NW Grateful Diver tonight. It was something I had planned and arranged ahead of time, and was counting on.

It was one of those dives where so many little things go wrong that you begin to wonder if you are not supposed to make this dive. There were several things where we had to regroup and rethink our dive plan, culminating with making our descent and discovering my primary light wouldn't strike. But I had a backup light, and Bob had a backup light, so we went on, just making a more conservative and shorter dive than we had originally planned.

I had played with moving around some weight, and finally got it right. I spent a lot of the dive doing literally absolutely nothing. I was delighted to hover in truly correct trim. We explored the usual places, and found the usual cute critters, including some utterly beautiful small jellyfish of which Bob got some splendid pictures.

At the end of the dive, we had planned a direct ascent so I could practice the dreaded 15 foot stop, which I loathe because I am so bad at it. Comes the awful moment of the thumb, and we start up, and I start getting tense and anxious because I know what's coming . . . but at about 15 feet, we find something wonderful -- a large egg-yolk jellyfish swimming in the water column. I have my visual reference and it's splendid (I've never seen one of these guys for real before). Three minutes? No problem!

We surface to discover the fog bank has dissipated and the Seattle skyline is glittering in multicolor and reflected in the calm, dark waters of Elliott Bay. We kick slowly in to shore, and I feel good about the dive for the first time in a while.

It was my fiftieth dive.

Thank you so much, Bob.

Sounds very nice.

Can you order the jelly's in at around 15 feet? They sure would help me out as well.
:wink:

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Can you order the jelly's in at around 15 feet?
Actually, Bob hangs them from a float and a string at 15 feet deep all cove Cove 2.

:wink:

Congratulations on your 50th. The Seattle skyline? God I wish I could see that!

Actually, since Bob is on a first-name basis with all the sea life in Cove 2, I think he called ahead and arranged a 15 foot jellyfish for me. It was the jellyfish on call.

You know you have to do dive #100 naked, don't you? :D

Not in Puget Sound, I don't. Every single human being who knows me is still shaking their head in amazement that I am diving in the Sound AT ALL.

Perfect.
Just what I was looking for before I went to bed.
Nice short story with a happy ending.

Thanks...

Congratulations, it sounds like you've turned the corner from newbie to novice. Pretty soon, you'll be showing other divers "the ropes." Keep on writing, I always enjoy your threads and their topics.

Actually, what I didn't tell Lynne was that the jelly was doing a slow ascent, and we ascended with it ... took about a minute to go from 15 feet to 7 feet, then we hung another minute or so while I snapped pics.

Nice control Lynne ... if you can hang at 7 feet that long without having to use your fins, you're getting there ... :D

BTW - here's a little photo show of the dive ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Ek5MW4pp

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom